Update to: What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

Page 4 of 6

No way.
Lightning would make a hole. Not heat the siding to melting point.

What does the back of the siding look like? Discolored on the surface or through out the pieces?

sits
is
Hard to tell from the picture, is the OSB discolored?

None at all.
seen siding just like that.guy had a gas grill to close to it. HEAT!!!

I guaranty that this wasn't like this two weeks ago. I've lived in the house 2 years. I have no little kids nor do my older children hang around on the deck. I charcoal grill about 18 feet from where the damage is.

house
the
Then cut that bitch open and see what's behind the OSB.
If it wasn't there and it just suddenly appeared... I would sure as hell be finding out what's in that wall!!!!!!

I'll weigh in with my 2 cents. The pattern of melted tyvek seems to indicate an outside source of heat, a fairly diffuse source at that. The melted tyvek appears to be evenly spaced at the same spacing as the siding overlap as evidenced by some dirt streaks on the un melted tyvek. So wherever the siding came into contact with the tyvek, it melted. Where the siding was spaced away, it didnt melt.
This indicates an outside source to me. I doubt it was lightning. As some one else said, that would punch a hole. But it wouldnt just punch a hole, it'd blast a hole.
I know someone who ruined an expensive swimming pool liner by using some plastic milk jugs as weights to hold the pool cover down. They focused the sun and melted right through the liner. This however seems to large for that. The heat was applied over a substantial area but focused over the largest tyvek hole.
-dickm

Could the grill have been used 18' away and rolled close to the siding before it was cold?

Raining.
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:09:07 -0400, Dan Espen

Right:-\\ Would you? I think the OP is brighter than that.
-- Oren
Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
You could neatly cut the tyvek and then reattach it with Pella tape sold Lowes or Home Depot in their Pella window/ door department. I'm not sure which one carries Pella but the one that does should stock the tape and it will last as long as the tyvek.

CraigT wrote:

The first shows definitely the heating shrunk the Tyvek and melted some of it at the hottest point (which is where I thought it looked like the center was previously). Can't tell through that tiny little spot what the actual sheathing looks like.
Definitely need to cut the Tyvek and look under it to tell for sure what it actually looks like.
Not at all surprising the wiring at the outlets looks ok, they're removed from where the problem is visible altho certainly if they had shown something that would have been indicative.
I don't think this has any chance of being lightning, it's more indicative of a radiant heat source imo and lightning would have really charred something in all likelihood.
I kinda' like Smitty's WAG -- didn't have a hanging mobile or something at some point by any chance? Don't know orientation wrt sun, but one thing the wife does that could be a problem if set in the wrong spot is brewing "sun tea" in the big gallon glass jar -- put that thing on a table outside the patio door and it would work really nice as he suggests...
I'd still explore more around that area under the Tyvek and if that didn't satisfy me, it can't hurt to make the entry hole...
It should be possible to see if the charring (if any) is surface and improves from the outside in or intensifies once there's an area to look at in comparison to the surrounding area under the Tyvek, though.
dpb wrote: ...

Another WAG -- didn't have a service tech or somebody doing some exterior plumbing or HVAC or other work that would have had a torch, perchance? Looks a lot like a torch laid down on a temporary bench or table pointing that way from a few feet away could have done...

Nobody has done any work outside of me staining the deck.
And, the grill is never moved near the house.
You know, when I say lightning, I don't mean a direct hit, but if the gutter took a hit then it traveled down the house to ground and in the process jumped from the siding to that deck railing or if hit the railing and tried to seek out the wiring behind that wall to get to ground it might have been diffused enough to do this.
Hey, I know I'm reaching here.
CraigT wrote:

What does the sheathing underneath the Tyvek show?
I'm still convinced it was a heat source and strongly doubt even indirect lightning.
I forget -- you got kids? Sure SO didn't do something while you were out of town on that last business trip or something else you don't know about occurred out there?
"CraigT" wrote .........

=You are aware that older kids do all kinds of stupid stuff when their parents aren't home, right? Oh yeah, and they never ever admit it.
Our new siding was finished for all of a week when I cooked steaks on the grill outside. Apparently the grill was too close and mine looks just like your's. DH was not the least bit impressed.
--
BetsyB
"CraigT" < snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEcomcast.net> wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:06:41 -0400, "betsyb"

It has taken my bride nearly 22 years to step up and grill outside. It is a "man world" :-))
-- Oren
All right, I've been convinced by you guys to open up the wall.
Like has been said, little effort, great rewards.
Thank you to all of you. You all have been courteous in the face of my stubbornness and this is why I point people in this direction when they have a question.
I've been wanting to try out that saw blade I bought for my rotozip.