Trying to find the right limited access key switch (!google deficient!)

Hi all,
I've spent the last hour googling without success. Please someone, clue me in.
I want to buy a single gang wall switch (will control an overhead light) that can't be turned on or off by the prying hands of my 2 year old. I've seen such switches in commercial use; they look just like a normal wall switch except in place of the toggle, there's a little slit there, and you need to have the matching "key" that slips in there and lets you turn it on or off. The toggle is basically recessed behind the slit. The key isn't unique; it's just a sliver of metal or plastic that mates with the toggle inside.
I've found rotary switches with real keys (as in unique keys that look like housekeys) for about $55 each; I'm looking for a simpler (cheaper) approach like I've seen in public places where it is desirable to prevent people from being able to easily turn on/off the lights.
The problem is that I can't find these anywhere online (I'm clearly using the wrong search terms) or at HD or Lowes.
Please help me out! I've tried search terms like "single gang security key switch" and "120V Key switch" and about 40 variants on the theme.
Any assistance will be appreciated!
Marc

Check this link: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId11605652
Grainger carrys them.
They also carry them in 3-way models.
Matt
Marc_G wrote:

Marc_G wrote:

I've seen them at every Depot and Lowe's I've been to. Not positive of the correct terminology and they probably don't have them listed on their web site anyway. Just go to Depot or Lowe's and ask someone in the electrical dept for the commercial key operated wall switches and they should be able to find them. They will be more expensive than the cheap residential grade switches since they are all spec grade and 20A rated. Still shouldn't be more than $20.
Ah, here is an example from the Leviton catalog:
http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catalog /
UPC# 07847712831 20 Amp, 120/277 Volt, Toggle Locking Single-Pole AC Quiet Switch, Industrial Grade, Self Grounding, Side Wired, - Brown
This is the Leviton "1221-L" series. I believe Depot carries the Leviton line so if they don't actually have these in stock they should be able to order it. I'm sure any "real" electrical supply house would also have them.
Pete C.
On 11/22/06 11:12 pm Pete C. wrote:

I've asked for them at more than one HD and Lowe's and have always had to go to a "'real' electrical supply house."
Perce
Marc_G wrote:

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/section-c-datasheet.asp?PN=HBL1222L&FAM=Switches&P 973,12003
does that help? I remembered seeing those in my high school years ago, I didn't know if they were still made or not until I actually looked for them though.
Another possibility might be a guard over a standard toggle switch, like a conduit strap or similar. The PO of my house had one on an unused switch by the front door, it was plastic and apparently made for the purpose.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Thanks everyone. These are perfect. The missing keyword I needed was "locking toggle"
Thanks for your help!
Marc

Might want to consider a motion detecting switch
says...

my local REAL hardware store sells a buck cost guard that screws to the existing light switch and either locks the light off or on.........
arent toddlers fun:)
I heard about a 4 year old that disassembled the parents computer in less than 5 minutes