Trying to find KWH of fans?

Page 1 of 2

Model 3733 20" Box Fan made by company called LASKO
It has 3 settings, high, medium and low, I cannot determine the Wattage it pulls on the Low setting.
I found a website which says 170 watts but it doesn't break it down for low medium high settings.
Thanks if you can help.
Add pictures here
✖
Robert Blass wrote:

General answer: Get yourself a "Kill-A-Watt" meter. It will answer this question and surprise you with a lot of other answers. About $30.00.
Add pictures here
✖

Yea, that is the answer. Not all 170W fans need have the same low speed power requirement. You might try the manufacturer's web site if they have one.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 31, 8:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

A KAW meter and logic helps
Add pictures here
✖

If you happen to have a multi-meter with AC current function, you can measure the current and get an estimated wattage.
There may be a power factor which means voltage and current are not in sync. Power company may charge you more than the real energy used in this case, though I don't know what formula is used.
A slow and cheap way is to monitor your electric meter with the fan off, then with it on and try to measure the difference over a period of time.
Add pictures here
✖

email the company or fill out a information request....their customer service dept is quick to reply
or give them a call
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

If it uses 170 watts on high (that's a bit less than a quarter HP) and your electrcity costs you cents per kWhr. then it will cost about 41 cents per 24 hrs? If it uses only half the power on 'low' setting, although it may use less that that, it'll be about 20 cents per continuous 24 hour day. Not a very significant cost? Hardly worth going out and spending money on a $20 gadget, that may not be very accurate at that, to measure how much the fan uses. Let's see $20/20 cents= operating that fan for 100 days for same cost as the measuring gadget!
Add pictures here
✖

Oops: Should read; "and your electricity costs you TEN cents ....... " sorry about that!
Add pictures here
✖
terry wrote:

"If it uses only half that power" is the question. For all we know, it may use TEN TIMES that much power on LOW. The way to find out is with the proper gizmo.
No, you've got to view this episode as a valid excuse for another tool.
Add pictures here
✖
sayd the following:

I have a brain, calculator and the fan itself. That is about a $15 investment and I thought that would be enough to get an 'idea' from one of you guys.
Add pictures here
✖

While having a "Kill-A-Watt" meter would be cool & wasting an excuse to buy a new tool is bad........
I seriously doubt that the fan on LOW uses 5x the high speed setting power....Terry's analysis is probably pretty close
Add pictures here
✖
sayd the following:

The fan maker's own website says 170 watts but does not say what it is at Low or Medium speeds. This was why I wanted to know. Also I wanted to know because I am going manic crazy making charts on the energy use in my home. I'm trying to shave off about $100 on my electric bill. At 7.608 cents per KwH you can see how things add up quick.
The damn AC unit is costing me about $117 per month and that's at 78F setting which is terribly hot and just makes me angry to be all hot inside my home knowing it could be cooler.
Sorry to rant, thanks
Add pictures here
✖
wrote Re Re: Trying to find KWH of fans?:

Have you tried one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Electronic+Gadgets-_-P3+International-_-82715001
I used one to help me reduce my electric bill by about $60/month.
Add pictures here
✖

I commend you on trying to save but I'd swap rates with you any day. Here is CT I'm paying 18¢.
Is that $117 for central AC? If so, not bad at all. I spent that much in June and July to keep a couple of room units going. (total June bill was $250) August is much cooler and had little AC use. It has been a couple of years since I've had a bill under $100.
Add pictures here
✖
sayd the following:

We used around 2200 KwHours last month when most for our size house in this region uses about 1100 KwHours. I'm doing something wrong or the power company is reading the meter wrong.
Add pictures here
✖

I suggested direct contact to the mfr's customer service; via phone or email....not getting the info by searching their website
they're very responsive
But Terry's analysis is probably pretty close to right.
fans are cheap to run........dryers (electric) & AC's are MUCH more expensive
I have a setup in my laundry area that allows me to use a fan to dry clothes hung on hangers.....I can run the fan for 2 days for what a single dryer load costs. I save the cost of a few dryer loads per week. I don't use AC so the humidity does boost my
btw 8¢ per KWA is really pretty cheap electricity
does your ulitity offer time of day pricing or a yearly rebate based on remote AC cycling? When I had a house with AC, I got a $200 check if I let them shut of my AC unit (only a few hours at a time but as many days as they wanted)
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

Hey Bob. What methodolgy is/was used for them to remotely control your AC. Sounds interesting? Terry
Add pictures here
✖

To cycle my A/C they placed an electrical junction box on the outside of the compressor, the power for the unit was routed through it.
I believe they could send a radio signal to it to turn the power on & off.
How big a rebate depended on how many days I agreed to have the A/C cycled and for how long per day.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks Bob. The only thing similar had heard of was; 1) A means by which Ontario Hydro (I think it was) was able some 50+ years ago to remotely turn off some 'flat rate' electric water heaters which were fed though a second main circuit breaker in the house main panel. I had such a panel once and used that 'extra' main breaker to wire our cooking stove. The regular main breaker fed all the other individual circuit breakers. 2) there was a British system IIRC named "Rhythmatic" (sounds like an exercise class doesn't it?) which sent pulses of a certain frequency down the power lines which caused a mechanically tuned relay to swing back and forth until it's contacts would switch things such as street lights on or off, remotely. This all before the days of digital signals over power lines which are in some cases causing radio and TV interference. Cheers.
Add pictures here
✖
terry wrote:

Both the name, "Rhythmatic," and your description sound like a sex technique.
Where can I get more information?
Add pictures here
✖