Torque wrench question

Just picked up my newly sharpened blades from the mower place. The repair guys said "Make damn sure you tighten the bolts right. There's no way to get the required 40 ft/lb torque with a 3/8" drive. With a breaker bar, yes, but not with a 3/8 torque wrench." I have a 3/8" drive Matco torque wrench with adjustments from 10 to 100 ft lbs. It's 18" long, bigger than any breaker bar I have.
What's this repair guy talking about?
I wouldn't worry about the lawnmower man, just tighten the blades to 40ft/lb indicated ( assuming that's the right spec) on the wrench and you will be fine. With an 18 inch wrench even a 90 pound weakling :-) should be able to get 40 ft/lb.
I personally would just tighten them till they are tight without using a torque wrench but until you determine what tight means just trust the wrench.
--
Mikey S.
"JoeSpareBedroom" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

He's a dope.

Maybe he was thinking of a ratchet instead of the breaker bar ? As you have a torque wrench you know how much force 40 ft lbs is. About 30 pounds of force on the end of the 18 inch wrench. That is almost nothing. I don't worry too much about the tightning of the blades. I use some Felpro antiseize to make them easier to get off next time. Got chastised over here for doing it, but I have never had a blade to come off while running in 30 years.
One thing, 40 ft lb with your wrench is just as much as with a much larger wrench.

Even if its not torqued right it wont come off because of the rotation of the motor is oposite. 40 lb is nothing, a 3/8 does it, the guy doesnt know.

He's full of beans.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I'm guessing he either thought the bolts would go into aluminum threads that couldn't take any higher torque, or you wouldn't have anything to hold the blade in place while tighting the bolts and would be relying only on engine compression to resist the tightening.
he's talking out his ass. Or perhaps he meant just a standard 3/8 drive ratchet. perhaps he didn't think they'd be long enough to get the leverage.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:36:53 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Sure, 100 pounds. Ten pounds.
But what makes you think you can do 40 pounds?
LOL

I'm totally misguided. :-)