Torque setting lawn mower head bolts

I have a Murray lawn mower (No instruction manual) with a 6HP, B&S engine, from which I removed the head, so as to put a Helicoil insert in the stripped out plug hole.

The information on the engine cowling is:-

Model = 12H802

Type = 3172-B1

I would appreciate it if someone would either, tell me what the torque value for the head bolts should be, or, point me to a place where I might find that info?

TIA

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

Or you could just use 3 finger pull on a relatively short ratchet.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Surely a torque wrench would give better results.

Personally, I'd just take a guess (30 ft/lbs?) and make sure they're consistent. Having all the bolts torqued evenly is most important.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I would suggest a visit to the B&S website.

Or a call to a B&S service center.

Or knowing the bolt size & receiver material you could get close to the correct torque.

My guess in is the 15 to 20 ft lb range but verify

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

My guess was 12 -15 ft lbs.