Table Lamp Socket Gets Real Hot

This table lamp has the kind of on/off switch where it's a straight piece that you push "through" the socket to turn on, and push back to turn off (instead of the usual kind you "twist" on and off).

Anywyay, when I push it throuh to turn it off, I end up touching the outside of the socket (metal). Sometimes this is extremely hot, to the point of being uncomforable to touch it.

However, this is intermittent. One day it may be like that and the next it's not hot. This has been going on a long time.

Any ideas on what would cause this?

-- John

Reply to
John Ross

A high wattage bulb? Leave it on a long time, hot socket...leave it on a short time, cooler socket.

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Or maybe it's a high resistance connection. After trying a smaller wattage bulb and/or a CF, and if that still doesn't fix it, then try cleaning up the contacts. Use a scotchbrite pad to clean the inside of the lamp socket (after unplugging of course), and if the center contact is mushed down, try prying it up a bit. Don't use steel wool to clean the socket, small bits of steel wool dust could short it out.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

But how does that explain it OK one day, but then hot the next day (same amount of time left on)?

-- John

Reply to
John Ross

It doesn't explain it at all, but it makes experts out of certain people, sort of. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

most brass ones are far more than 100 watts.

I would replace the socket and likely the wire, since the insulation is probably melted.

then install a CF, saves energy:)

Reply to
hallerb