Tool recommendation: Fastening to concrete block walls

-snip-

Tapcon makes a tool [$20?] that holds the bit- then you slip a 'socket' over it and drive the hex head.

I have one and used it a lot when I first got it. Now I find myself drilling as many holes as I can keep track of- then using my Bosch impact driver to drive the Tapcons. BTW- I have good luck with a bit of lube-- water, spit, whatever --on the Tapcon. If it binds, I back up and drive it in again.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Quarter inch carbide drill, plastic plug in anchors and sheetrock screws do a good job and fairly fast if you drill into the mortar joints. My "cool" room (8x12) has floor to ceiling shelves around 3 of the walls held up that way. Also did the furring strips to cover the bare block walls with sheetrock in the basement.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No, it tempers the steel it is attached to.

Who is talking about cutting fluid? I am talking about cooling the bit after drilling each hole. It is one thing to keep a bit cool with water/coolant mix and another to cool a hot bit down after dry drilling with water.

The machine shop I worked in only used white stones for carbide and cobalt tools. Maybe a different white stone? Grey was never used.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Why do they need to be flush? What is wrong with countersinking them? To get loose tapcons tight, put some HD foil in the hole, a tip I have to try next time.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

P.S. I never say a box of tapcons with a regular corded hammer drill in them, only drill bits, which can be used in either corded or cordless hammer drills.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

BTW, plain water is NEVER used as a coolant except in an emergency This job needs to get done now and we stupidly ran out of coolant. Even then they will continue to use bad coolant over plain water. They use a water-based coolant to protect the parts from corrosion. If you only work with SS that is a possibility, but who uses only SS? It is run through a catch pan of some sort, filtered, and reused. Nobody would be stupid enough to change it out just for a SS job.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

HUNDREDS of holes blasted or drilled into a block wall ??? I hope they are filled with concrete and not hollow....Is it possible to attach wood runners to the wall and then run everything on the wood ???

Reply to
benick

not hundreds of holes on a block wall, but hundreds of holes on all the block walls. I have about 500 linear feet of block walls to work with so if I attach a say a 1x2 furring strip every 24" along it, that is 250 strips of 1x2 and if I put 8 screws along each strip that would be 2000 screws. Plus straps for electrical conduits, PVC pipes, copper supply pipes, places I have to reinforce with 1x boards such as behind medicine cabinets, pedestal sink, cabinets etc...

Reply to
MiamiCuse