Tool Purchase Ethics?

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:45:23 -0600, "J.A. Michel"

I already have more tools than I can shake a stick at. I will never use the crimper again. The best solution so far is to look around for a used one on the local swap shop or something like that and then resell it the same way. Buying on eBay and shipping that tool across the country isn't economical. Yes 60 bucks is something to me - 2 weeks groceries for example. I'm retired on a very limited income. Fortunately I am a pretty good handyman and can fix just about anything. That idea about buying and returning the tool came from another customer and discussed infront of a HD salesman. The HM guy said it is done all the time. The packaging looked it. Didn't faze him.
Returning tools may be done all the time, but it doesn't mean you have to bring yourself down to other people's level. There's a big difference between being poor and being poor and unethical. At least the former can still hold his head high.

PaPaPeng wrote:

Wow. I thought you were just a troll. You're not. You're a schmuck. My mistake.
Sell some of those other tools, Brainiac, scale back your project by $60, get a job where you can earn the money honestly (should take, what?, half a day?) or don't eat for two weeks.

Doesn't add up if you are doing this seemingly fairly unnecessary addition.
You've already lost more than $60 in good will from this posting IMHO.
PaPaPeng wrote:

Sell them, you need to money.

If you can afford the improvements you are planning you can afford the tool.
You are either a troll or a thief.

Take on some jobs as a handyman to make money honestly rather than steeling.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

He only works there. He may not care about their money.
But even if he does, it's hard -- it's not good for him -- to get exorcized about something he can't do anything about. It would be impossible to hold the job if he did.
And he's only one person.
I would run in most of your fixtures with the proper hoses and shutoff valves using common PVC or CPVC fittings.
The pex tube stuff is really good for service runs and a lot of the places that sell it will crimp the fittings for you.
Buying and returning the tool is low. Just like buying a suit for a wedding and returning it after the event.
If you install the fixtures and cut all the pipe runs you should easily crimp on connectors in a day. So rent the thing.

Through all of history, few people had a kitchenette in addition to their kitchen. And I'm sure your kitchen is nicer than most had. And you want a wet bar, even though everything that accomplishes can be done with a cabinet and the kitchenette sink, or the original kitchen sink. And then you *love* flex tube water pipes. You just want everthing don't you, even though you feel you can't afford it.
This strikes me as like saying, I can afford to go to that really fancy restaurant, as long as I don't tip.
Lowes used to sell a lot of generators before hurricanes, then they would be returned used after the power came back on. Now if the generator comes back in an opened box, they will not take it back. I'm sure that policy will apply to other stuff at Lowes and other stores in the future as well after enough crooks try your stunt. You and your stunt will get no respect or sympathy from me.
Stretch

Even if the paint is not burned off the muffler? That was the standard 40 years ago iirc.
But still, I undestand why they tighted up.
Bad actors make things harder for everyone. Now there are a lot of phone credit cards and loads of special plans, but there were decades when one coulld make a long distance call from a pay phone (or any phone I suppose) and charge it to one's own home phone. Too many people lied about who they were and what there home phone was, and they stopped permitting it, unless someone was at that number to ok it. Since I lived alone, I could no longer do it.
Loads of things like that.

PaPaPeng wrote:

Questions like that are why I have a sign on my office wall reading:
THERE IS NO RIGHT WAY TO DO THE WRONG THING.
Whenever anyone starts mumbling that maybe if we did such and such we'd get away with it, I just point to the sign and tell them to knock it off.
Jeff (It's good to own the business.....)
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

"Here's yer sign....."

This has got to be a troll, however, since the subject has been broached I'll throw in my $.02. I worked for a tool manufacturer for my entire career and clowns who do this are a source of great irritation. Runs up the companies warranty (retailer just sends it back or has a destroy in field policy, doesn't hurt them). One end user customer did this so often with our product that the local dealers were told that if they sold him anything else, that it was without warranty or they would have to honor it themselves.
In my opinion it is simply stealing.

having "defects" and "shortages" at a rate 10x higher than my other customers. I told them if they didn't stop I wouldn't be shipping anymore. You hate to do that, but there wasn't enough profit to do anything else. Anyhow, their rates went back to normal.
Just something to think about.

I'd bet the rest of your life is pretty much a messy daily drama.
Am I right?
Steve

Not cruel.
Ugly.
Truth is ugly.
Steve
PaPaPeng wrote:

your an ASS just for thinking of doing that

My "take" on this is that you're hoping someone will tell you that stealing is OK. That's what you're proposing to do.
--
Regards,

You know the answer to this question or you wouldn't be asking it here.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /