Tool Purchase Ethics?

Returning tools may be done all the time, but it doesn't mean you have to bring yourself down to other people's level. There's a big difference between being poor and being poor and unethical. At least the former can still hold his head high.

Reply to
Bob

PaPaPeng has been around here quite a few years.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Lowes used to sell a lot of generators before hurricanes, then they would be returned used after the power came back on. Now if the generator comes back in an opened box, they will not take it back. I'm sure that policy will apply to other stuff at Lowes and other stores in the future as well after enough crooks try your stunt. You and your stunt will get no respect or sympathy from me.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Questions like that are why I have a sign on my office wall reading:

THERE IS NO RIGHT WAY TO DO THE WRONG THING.

Whenever anyone starts mumbling that maybe if we did such and such we'd get away with it, I just point to the sign and tell them to knock it off.

Jeff (It's good to own the business.....)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Wow. I thought you were just a troll. You're not. You're a schmuck. My mistake.

Sell some of those other tools, Brainiac, scale back your project by $60, get a job where you can earn the money honestly (should take, what?, half a day?) or don't eat for two weeks.

RicodJour

This has got to be a troll, however, since the subject has been broached I'll throw in my $.02. I worked for a tool manufacturer for my entire career and clowns who do this are a source of great irritation. Runs up the companies warranty (retailer just sends it back or has a destroy in field policy, doesn't hurt them). One end user customer did this so often with our product that the local dealers were told that if they sold him anything else, that it was without warranty or they would have to honor it themselves.

In my opinion it is simply stealing.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Actually the "freezing" is about the worst excuse for engaging in fraud that I have ever heard. Why not just say, "the Devil made me do it?"

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I used to sell to a unnamed, but really big, home center. They started having "defects" and "shortages" at a rate 10x higher than my other customers. I told them if they didn't stop I wouldn't be shipping anymore. You hate to do that, but there wasn't enough profit to do anything else. Anyhow, their rates went back to normal.

Just something to think about.

Reply to
Toller

I'd bet the rest of your life is pretty much a messy daily drama.

Am I right?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Here's yer sign....."

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Hell, he'd just return it empty.

Reply to
PanHandler

Doesn't add up if you are doing this seemingly fairly unnecessary addition.

You've already lost more than $60 in good will from this posting IMHO.

Reply to
JohnH

That's cruel, but probably right.

Reply to
Toller

your an ASS just for thinking of doing that

Reply to
fsteddie

Not cruel.

Ugly.

Truth is ugly.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sell them, you need to money.

If you can afford the improvements you are planning you can afford the tool.

You are either a troll or a thief.

Take on some jobs as a handyman to make money honestly rather than steeling.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My "take" on this is that you're hoping someone will tell you that stealing is OK. That's what you're proposing to do.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Even if the paint is not burned off the muffler? That was the standard 40 years ago iirc.

But still, I undestand why they tighted up.

Bad actors make things harder for everyone. Now there are a lot of phone credit cards and loads of special plans, but there were decades when one coulld make a long distance call from a pay phone (or any phone I suppose) and charge it to one's own home phone. Too many people lied about who they were and what there home phone was, and they stopped permitting it, unless someone was at that number to ok it. Since I lived alone, I could no longer do it.

Loads of things like that.

mm

You know the answer to this question or you wouldn't be asking it here.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

As a retailer who sold a whole bunch of costumes during Halloween, I can tell you that folks like you wreck the system for others. Typically, after Halloween, folks come in to return used costumes. They use all kinds of excuses including wrecking them so they can claim they were "never good". We have a store policy that does not allow any returns on costumes due to this problem and suggest that they try them on before their purchase. This year we had 7 people claim they purchased the costumes for people that passed away among other excuses. Now, what kind of a position does that put a retailer in? You are stuck with sticking to a "tough policy". So when the system gets abused, retailers respond and all of us pay the price....me included....Ross P.S. Oh well, retirements over and loving it!

Reply to
Ross Mac