Tonite's ABC News: "Cartridges".... WTF?????

Page 2 of 2
(PeteCresswell) wrote :

Yes, and I thought the same thing - what an idiotic thing to say.
For long you live and high you fly
On 8/23/2015 8:12 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Ah, but did you call them on it?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I wouldn't waste the time, but would hope that other "news" providers would at least take the chance to mock their competition.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 8/24/2015 9:26 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Likely, they would read it and say "looks fine to me....." and go on with the day.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No, I've basically given up on trying to correct people on terminology. Sometimes, when I'm in the mood to do so, I still do though.
For long you live and high you fly
On 8/24/2015 10:13 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

I know what you mean. Most folks just ignore any corrections, and keep on being incorrect.
That, like voting, change pretty much nothing.
I've also wondered about calling elected officials. Do they do the will of the people any more?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Only when you figuratively 'rub their noses in it', in public, during the campaign season.
For long you live and high you fly

Cartridge is a synonym for magazine according to the Oxford Dictionary: http://alturl.com/ivuu7 That doesn't seem to apply if one is talking specifically about guns.

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:46:54 -0400,

Is it true that hitting someone face-on, which might have been the only angle available, won't likely knock someone out?
But hitting his cheek or jaw from the side, sideways, is likely to?
micky laid this down on his screen :

An uppercut is more likely to achieve a knockout.
For long you live and high you fly
Per micky:

Just thinking about it, I would imagine that a knockout results when the skull accellerated faster than the brain inside and the brain bumps up against the skull/container.
That being the case, I would also imagine that the muscles preventing the head from being accellerated backwards are much stronger than those preventing it from being accellerated sideways.
--
Pete Cresswell

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 09:30:18 -0400,

I wouldn't assume that bumping does it. There must be plenty of resarch on this. I'm trying to plan which way to hit the killer when I'm on a train car and I have to stop a shooting. So I have plenty of time to get the accurate info.

You mean "If that's the case".

Per micky:

Good catch - I'll take it.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 08/23/2015 04:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Well, they sorta looked like VCR cartridges, dontcha know?" I'm not saying it was ever any better but apparently you can get a paying job as a journo with no knowledge of spelling, grammar, or the ability to form a meaningful sentence.
Per rbowman:

Or even being in touch with reality. One of my favorites on ABC Nightly News was when they showed a clip of Obama walking along one of the sidewalks outside The Whitehouse at a pace that others were having trouble keeping up with without breaking into a jog - clearly going somewhere in a hurry - and the announcer said something like "President Obama, taking a leisurely walk in the rose garden."
The other was when they showed a cell phone vid if that nut job that killed the British (soldier? policeman?) with a large knife and a meat cleaver. Full frame - knife in one hand, meat cleaver in the other hand...plain as day.... and the announcer was going on about "Two knives".
Maybe this sounds like a petty obsession with detail... but when somebody messes stuff up at that level on national network news, I have to wonder what else they got wrong that is not so apparent.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 9:36:54 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

A meat cleaver is a type of knife. Even the magazine versus cartridge thing is a nit, it doesn't effect the essence of the story. I'm more concerned about the major bias incidents, where it's biased because of what they cover versus don't cover, how much time they devote to one story verus another. Or the political correct nonsense like where none of the media except Fox will allow the usage of "illegal alien". IMO those are a lot worse than calling a magazine a cartridge and they happen just about every day.
Per trader_4:

I agree that it does not affected the essence of the story.
But I would liken that level of inattention to detail (or ignorance) is like when the columns do not balance by, say, 27 cents in double-entry bookkeeping. Yes, it's a trivial amount.... but it indicates something is wrong - and maybe several big things are wrong and they just happen to net out to 27 cents.
I might even extend that to your concern: if they can't even get basic terminology right, what hope is there for meaningful focus and/or emphasis?
--
Pete Cresswell

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 09:36:49 -0400,

I havent' noticed that but I believe it.

If you're obsessed with detail, pettily or not, you'll understand my correction of your reply to me, in this thread.

Another thing to keep your eyes open for is the last sentence of maybe 60% or more of news stories. It's usually a summary, a moral, a conclusion, a prediction. a warning, and it's usually WRONG. They should just suppress their ego and omit the last sentence and the story will be far more accurate. Watch the tv news and you'll see what I mean. The radio and written news don't do this nearly as often.
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 6:47:03 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Were the magazines loaded with ammo (cartridges)?
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 05:03:37 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Only Guns and Ammo. Time and Newsweek had mostly news.