Gripfill Cartridges

I bought a couple of cartridges of Gripfill yesterday from Screwfix and noticed when I got home that they are constructed totally differently from the norm .They have the nozzle built in to the tube and according to the instructions you use a long nail ( or somesuch) to pierce the cartridge after cutting the nozzle . You don't get a cap either .

Is there a reason why they are made this way or is it likely to be to save money in the making of them .Do they anticipate that in most cases the full tube wil be used at one go and then thrown away .

Does this cause any problems in the useage of the cartridges ...because you cannot remove the nozzle as you can with the screw-on ones ?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

I think it is because it is solvent based - they need to be constructed from the foil / card.

I don't find it keeps very well - either use it all up or chuck it out.

By the way, our local B&Q is doing 12 tubes for =A310 at the moment which is very cheap.

If you're not happy with the green Gripfill, you can get solvent free stuff in a yellow tube. This is a conventional plastic tube with removable nozzle. I don't think it's as good as the stinky stuff though!

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

If you want a good solvent free alternative to Gripfill, I recommend Evostick Nail and Seal. It's one of the few alternatives that actually works as well as (IMO better than) Gripfill.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Mine were like that as well. I reckon it might be longer shelf life?

I've been using the No Nonsense range from Screwfix lately. Grab Adhesive & Solvent Free Grab Adhesive I reckon are better than Gripfil. Silicone seems good as well.

All comes with separate nozzle, no caps.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman