toilet water level rising high and then dropping too low

Please can anyone help?
My downstairs loo is not flushing properly. When flushed the water level fills really high then drains lower than the level of the pipe. One of my outside drains is also high with water. We do not have an inspection cover on our property and the old lady next door down just had hers covered and a small 6 in cover put on.
Any ideas gratefully received, Thanks Taffy

That is usually a partial clog that holds water in the pipe, then causes it to siphon out the toilet because the vent is also partially blocked
Thanks for replying, any ideas on how to solve the problem?
taffy wrote:

Probably need to post on this group as well: UK.D-I-Y
Jim