Landscape lighting question

I hope someone can help me. I would like to install some low voltage landscape lighting without the use of an outdoor transformer; I'd prefer an indoor transformer if possible. My setup is as follows: I have a patio with landscape beds on 2 sides. One bed is small and only requires 3 lights and the other bed is larger and would probably get 8 or 9 lights. There is conduit running beneath the patio from both beds which I could easily use to run wire into my basement where my fuse box is. I'd like to also have the ability to turn the landscape lights on and off and not be on a timer. I went to my local hardware store and picked out lights and then noticed the transformer must be installed outdoors. Of course the store clerk had no idea what to suggest in lieu of the outdoor transformer so I'm posting here with some hope that someone might know of an indoor transformer made for low voltage lights. I plan on not needing more than a 200W transformer that would let me hook up the the separate lines from the landscape beds. I then plan to plug the transformer into an RF sensing outlet to be able to turn the lights on and off with a remote. I dont know if this plan is feasible or not but I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance

Reply to
amanetta

Maybe I have missed something. I have never seen a transformer that must be installed outside. Why would it have to be outside?

My current one is in the basement and I just ran the low voltage wire out the wall. If you aren't handy with wiring the RF outlet should work just fine.

Reply to
Colbyt

Sounds feasible to me as long as the total wattage is below the rated output of the transformer. You need to go to the website of the transformer to see its rating. I generally stay away from low voltage outdoor lighting, but I'd be surprised to see a transformer with an outdoor rating that could not be used indoors. Look at companies like Wac, Kitchler, Kim, Hadco, and Vista if you need to, they all make indoor transformers for the fixtures you plan to use

Reply to
RBM

Some remote control devices are designed for lamps and have a variable output. (Dimmer.) You do not want this type to control a transformer.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The instructions stated the transformer MUST be installed outside and the only reason the clerk was able to give me was because the heat the transformer puts out could be a fire hazard. Well i asked if it mattered that much since the same heat would be created outdoors and instead of burning the house from inside out, it would be outside in. It was a Malibu transformer.

Colbyt wrote:

Reply to
amanetta

At a certain point the question becomes, why not just install it outside and make your life easy. The Malibu lights will be solid waste long before that transformer goes bad.

Reply to
gfretwell