Low water level in toilet

Hi,

I have a washing machine and a sink in the garage; the washing machine drains into what I think is called a spigot on the drain pipe from the sink then the pipe goes through the garage wall into the downstairs toilet. The toilet outflow has a special sort of adapter behind the u-bend with a sealed hole in the top into which the pipe from the garage goes.

This has worked OK since we moved in but suddenly now when the washing machine is emptying, air bubbles seem to be gurgling up in the toilet and, more importantly, the water level in the toilet seems to end up very low. In fact it seems to be lower than the bottom of the pipe beyond the u-bend going into the adapter.

I thought the u-bend was supposed to keep the water level in the toilet at the correct level; I am puzzled as to how it can end up lower than this.

Both the washing machine and the toilet seem to be emptying OK, but with this gurgling and very low water level. Has anybody any ideas.

Thanks, Lawrie

Reply to
Lawrie

You've got a (probably partial) blockage downstream. It needs clearing before it gets worse.

Reply to
<me9

yes, you'll quickly have a complete block.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Agreed. Something like that. Flow is no longer smooth.. Start of tipping a pint of caustic soda crystals down the bog.

Flush once, then three kettles of boiling water and leave.

Use gloves and spectacles and mop up splashes with lots of cold water.

That usually clears soapy/fatty/ scummy stuff. Which is the glue that binds the tissue and cloth items together..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've a drainage system that did block **totally** recently, to the extent that I had to dig because it is an old porcelain drain and there's no surface access, so this thread interested me. Fortunately the dig was shallow and I got access through the lid of a bend, but I don't want it to happen again - and yes the washing machine and toilet are on that branch.

Two questions:- I didn't know about caustic soda crystals; are they available at the sheds etc ? And secondly can I use this as a cure when the whole lot tips into a septic tank ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Surely if the water level in the bowl is dropping then it points to the soil stack not getting any air in at the top ? ie it is now sucking air through the bowl and taking the water with it ? jammed air admitance valve ?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cross

This sounds similar to something I experienced when I first moved into my house. I didn't get the bubbling, but the water level in the pan would be very low occasionally.

In teh end some asked if it was windy when it happened, and I realised it was. Basically the wind was causing a venturi over my soil stack which was enough to siphon some water into the sewer.

Not really sure how to deal with it ... the water level has never fallen so low as to break the air/water barrier.

Reply to
Jethro