Thoughts on the last snowstorm

I wonder if the windshield will fit or if the pillars were distorted. The centrifugal force, if it rolled fast enough, may have left the oil where it belongs and a few seconds probably don't matter much.

Some people should stay home. Going to work one day I passed a car in the grass off the road around a curve. On the way home I saw her again off the road going down a hill on a curve. It was not bad of a snow day either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have blown 4" of powder off of my driveway with a leaf blower (just for fun).

I have sweated my ass off shoveling 2" of wet stuff.

Nothing sucks more than having to shovel heavy, wet snow when there is already 2 feet of snow lining both sides of the driveway. It's all "lift and throw" at that point.

Since a snowblower likes to have snow behind snow to help push it through the machine, blowing an inch or two doesn't really work. I split my drive down the middle and push the snow to both sides, then use my blower to throw it up and over the mounds on the side of the driveway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Where, where?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This week, I took a mini vacation. Drove from my home in western NYS, and visit a friend in South Carolina (western part of SC). Leaving NYS, the weather was clear and the roads were dry. About half way through Pennsylvania, I started noticing snow on the ground. at one rest area, about seven or so inches of heavy snow on the grassy areas. Listening to the radio in VA and NC, they were talking about power cuts and people in the dark.

The weather guys are saying that next week will bring another snow storm, so it may very well be me in the dark next time.

The AM radio was good. Also the DOT put up some portable signs, there was a traffic mess in Charlotte NC, and I changed my route to go well around that. Thank you, Virginia DOT for that kindness.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My experience in NYS is that road salt is much more damaging than a push broom.

One of my vehicles has four wheel drive. I've not needed it yet, and kind of like it that way. The electric rear defogger is really nice. And cabin heat for cold weather is good. Power steering is nice, and automatic transmission.

Last night, I cycled my NiMH rechargable batteries through the charger. In case I need some light for the next power cut. Whenever that might be.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As another poster mentioned, many people without power due to the snow storm. Winter power cuts need heat and light, both. For winter power cuts, fuel burning light sources are good to have.

Candles are the first thing most folks use. And careful is needed. Now and again some one will burn down a house, with candles too close to the curtains, papers, etc. On the rare moments I burn candles, I use short stable candles, and use a metal cake pan or heavy skillet as a base, less risk of burning down the home. Candles don't put out much light. Not too bad at night, when your eyes adjust after a while.

Wick lamps are also good. They can burn ultra pure or kerosene. There was some thing that went around about using mineral spirits paint thinner in a wick lamp. Yes, it does give off a lot of light. It is also a fire and explosion risk, far too flammable.

Mantle lanterns such as propane or Coleman fuel are very bright, and plenty enough to read or see what you're doing (staring at the dark TV screen).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We don't see much wet snow here, maybe sometimes in the spring when it's still snowing.

The worst snow I've ever seen was in Valdez, Alaska. Now that's a bit too much snow for me. They built tunnels to get around in.

Reply to
SeaNymph

That's true, but like I said, we rarely see wet snow here. When I lived in Indiana, that's all we had.

Reply to
SeaNymph

...snip...

Lucky you! We can see dry snow then wet snow within hours of each other.

While this winter has been really mild for us so far (he said with crossed fingers) there was a night when I went out at about 9 PM to clear a couple of inches of light stuff off the driveway, telling myself it would make the morning shoveling session a little easier. In reality, I just needed an excuse to be outside for a little while.

The next morning, another 2 inches were in the driveway but it was wet and heavy. I pushed it to the sides with my shovel and then blew it onto the lawn with my blower. No more lifting of the wet stuff for me. If it's not enough to blow where it lays, I'll pile it up with a push shovel and then move the pile with my blower.

I spent a year in Port Clarence AK, which is about 700 miles NW of Valdez. The snow would bury one side of the buildings while leaving the tundra exposed on the other side. It was more about the drifting than the actual snow fall amounts. The door outside our radio room was on the windward side, so it would get buried. We would start by shoveling the snow to both sides of the walkway and then eventually lay plywood across to pile to create a tunnel and then dig nice neat steps up the drift to get out of the building.

The steps were built to code, more or less. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have something called a shmutzen Rake or something like that from lLea Valley that works great for removing snow from the vehicles (and the front steps if not too heavy

I just looked it up - it is called Schmutz Haken - German for Dirt Hook.

Reply to
clare

My blower doesn't really care too much how much snow there is or how wet it is. Our only REAL snowstorm this winter dropped about 8 inches of slush. Each shovel full must have weighed close to 100 lbs. None of the neighbours' blowers could handle it but my little Yamaha was pumping water from my sidewalk clear across the road.like a fire pump. I plugged it up a few times blowing the slush from the side of the road to clear the storm drains - particularly after the plow had plugged them up for the second time I put over 2 tanks of gass through it that morning.

When we have light fluffy stuff and a west wind (meaning I can't blow my driveway onto MY front lawn) I blow the snow from my double driveway right across my neighbour's double driveway onto his front lawn. Sometimes I have to be carefull it doesn't fill the next neighbour's driveway..

Reply to
clare

Never heard that expression before, where you're in agreement with someone?

s'wrong with you people?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Yes but it's not here here" it's Hear Hear"!!

Like "I hear ya"

Reply to
clare

cl wrote: "- show quoted text - Yes but it's not here here" it's Hear Hear"!!

Like "I hear ya"

Dude, take it easy on dyslexics, will ya?

lol (:

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I thnik yuo mena homophones? Nto lysdecsics.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The last snow storm was a bit south of me, last week I did drive through where, where the snow storm hit. Fortunately, we got no snow hear hear.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon