Thoughts on cordless vacuums please

We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there seem to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax Air Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to
Broadback

We got a Dyson (not Fluffy) and it is excellent. Also have one at work. Small capacity for dirt, awkward to open and get the dirt out, but still highly rated.

We tried a Vax product (can't remember which one now), and it was rubbish in comparison. OK for occasional crumb clearance.

Reply to
polygonum

There is a Bosch as well which apparently has two batteries, on charging one in the cleaner.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

We have a small hand-held Dyson DC31 Animal. SWMBO swears by it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I've recently purchased a Gtech Air-ram K9, and it's excellent.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Chris Bartram wrote in news:mu68gn$9n6$2 @dont-email.me:

...won't they all suffer from declining performance as the battery ages and you will just put up with it as the batteries will either be expensive or not available.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We have a DC35. Excellent. It means stuff gets cleaned that would otherwise not be.

Reply to
Tim Streater

One of my dustettes has been going for 80 years. In that time you'd need to buy around 10 rechargeable vacs as well as tolerate the poorer performance. It doesn't have dyson-like suction but they do the job ok.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

doesn't have dyson-like suction but they do the job ok.

Don't do the job very well by the sound of it

Reply to
stuart noble

Does that mean you've never used one?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , Tim Streater writes

We have a DC59, it is indeed excellent. It gets lots of use. Great for a quick hoovering up of stuff and for doing just a bit of the house to save getting the mains vacuum out, for doing sofas say, whilst hoovering the carpets with the mains one, for the car.

I like that it can be easily used as a handheld one, or with the extension tube more like an upright.

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright cleaner, or more of a handheld one

Reply to
Chris French

Batteries are easily available for the Dyson.

TBH I doubt that our Dyson DC59 has less suction than an old dustette (though it is a long, long time since I used one - it really is nothing like the little handheld jobbies.

And the Dustette lacks the big advantage of being cordless.

but you know, horses for courses

Reply to
Chris French

They're very different animals. You can replace batteries, but it costs. A fiver for a reliable mains vac, or many hundreds with repeated breakdowns for something more modern. Sometimes upgrades really are downgrades.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A replacement for our mains one.

Reply to
Broadback

We have a DC59. SWMBO likes it because it is light to use. It gets much more use than the ball Dyson that we bought before.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Hum, unless battery technology has taken some very big steps recently no way is a battery cleaner going to have the suck and run time of a mains cleaner.

Pick any two: Suck, long run time, light weight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So. I don;t need a long run time 10mins is usually enough. How many hours a day do you vacuum ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

It certainly wouldn't be here.

Not a question of how many hours a day - but how long in one go. Unless you have spare batteries.

Thing is, to me a vacuum cleaner is simply a tool. Not a fashion statement. So I expect it to have a long long life. Like any other household appliance. My current Panasonic is over 20 years old and still works just fine.

And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail. And can you guarantee a replacement will be available at a reasonable price when it does? Experience with most cordless tools says not.

Of course I wired this house myself. So there are plenty of convenient sockets for a mains vacuum cleaner - I actually added more where the need was found. So it really is no hardship to plug it in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For me it's virutally the same question. Because I know I have 10mins so I don't not cleaner for a month and go around just once a month. uslly I pick a dusty place a vacuum it. If I have to do a whole room or house I use my mains powered dyson.

Me too, are you implying I think it's a 'marital' aid ;-)

I expect it to do a job where I put in minimal effort. My broom has lasted me years but then I don't use it since I have a dyson. So it will likely out live me, I don't have a problem with that, I'll leave it in my will.

So does my broom, but it doesn;t do what I want and for me that is more im portant.

So.

couldn't care less. I can't get HP3 film for my camera either do I care ? Can;t buy model T ford cars either, and I'd relly like one of those early lights that they had in teh first houses you know the ones where they stand them in liquid mercury.

I have a long extention lead and where that can;t reach I have a protable a pplience.

I have found even a plugged in cleaner is a real pain on the stairs I had a dirty devil, and when gettign cobwebs down from a corner the dyson is only bettered by a ken dodd tickle stick, but they rarely last longer than a ba tteries charge before I have to clean them. Just ordered a new dyson V6 fluffy for at work. No it will not be used as the cleaner for the university campus.

and if you really need longer get a spare battery like you do for cameras and some laptops.

Reply to
whisky-dave

If a basic mains vac won't clean up, something's wrong with it.

so you have to pay over and over. Having used both mains & cordless I don't see the upside, mains are so much more pwoerful, it makes more difference than cordlessness.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr