Thoughts on cordless vacuums please

We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there seem to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax Air Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.
On 26/09/2015 12:43, Broadback wrote:

We got a Dyson (not Fluffy) and it is excellent. Also have one at work. Small capacity for dirt, awkward to open and get the dirt out, but still highly rated.
We tried a Vax product (can't remember which one now), and it was rubbish in comparison. OK for occasional crumb clearance.
--
Rod

There is a Bosch as well which apparently has two batteries, on charging one in the cleaner.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:43:10 +0100, Broadback

We have a small hand-held Dyson DC31 Animal. SWMBO swears by it.
--

Chris

We have a DC35. Excellent. It means stuff gets cleaned that would otherwise not be.

We have a DC59, it is indeed excellent. It gets lots of use. Great for a quick hoovering up of stuff and for doing just a bit of the house to save getting the mains vacuum out, for doing sofas say, whilst hoovering the carpets with the mains one, for the car.
I like that it can be easily used as a handheld one, or with the extension tube more like an upright.
Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright cleaner, or more of a handheld one
--
Chris French

On 27/09/2015 20:54, Chris French wrote:

A replacement for our mains one.
On 28/09/2015 09:36, Broadback wrote:

We have a DC59. SWMBO likes it because it is light to use. It gets much more use than the ball Dyson that we bought before.
--
Michael Chare

Depending on the situation, much as I like ours and use it a lot, I think the DC59 could struggle as a mains replacement (not so much because of performance, but because of the runtime.).. It wouldn't be much cop here as the house is too big and gets to messy with pets, kids, in and our of the garden, crafting etc. - I use it here to do the odd room, the stairs and odd bits of cleaning - but it wouldn't do all of our downstairs but I can see in a small house or flat, it might be ok
I'd look at the ones designed more as an upright one maybe, they might have more runtime?
--
Chris French

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:36:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

cleaner,

Hum, unless battery technology has taken some very big steps recently no way is a battery cleaner going to have the suck and run time of a mains cleaner.
Pick any two: Suck, long run time, light weight.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Monday, 28 September 2015 16:43:05 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

So. I don;t need a long run time 10mins is usually enough. How many hours a day do you vacuum ?

It certainly wouldn't be here.

Not a question of how many hours a day - but how long in one go. Unless you have spare batteries.
Thing is, to me a vacuum cleaner is simply a tool. Not a fashion statement. So I expect it to have a long long life. Like any other household appliance. My current Panasonic is over 20 years old and still works just fine.
And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail. And can you guarantee a replacement will be available at a reasonable price when it does? Experience with most cordless tools says not.
Of course I wired this house myself. So there are plenty of convenient sockets for a mains vacuum cleaner - I actually added more where the need was found. So it really is no hardship to plug it in.
--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 13:46:28 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

For me it's virutally the same question. Because I know I have 10mins so I don't not cleaner for a month and go around just once a month. uslly I pick a dusty place a vacuum it. If I have to do a whole room or house I use my mains powered dyson.

Me too, are you implying I think it's a 'marital' aid ;-)

I expect it to do a job where I put in minimal effort. My broom has lasted me years but then I don't use it since I have a dyson. So it will likely out live me, I don't have a problem with that, I'll leave it in my will.
>Like any other

So does my broom, but it doesn;t do what I want and for me that is more im portant.

So.

couldn't care less. I can't get HP3 film for my camera either do I care ? Can;t buy model T ford cars either, and I'd relly like one of those early lights that they had in teh first houses you know the ones where they stand them in liquid mercury.

I have a long extention lead and where that can;t reach I have a protable a pplience.

I have found even a plugged in cleaner is a real pain on the stairs I had a dirty devil, and when gettign cobwebs down from a corner the dyson is only bettered by a ken dodd tickle stick, but they rarely last longer than a ba tteries charge before I have to clean them. Just ordered a new dyson V6 fluffy for at work. No it will not be used as the cleaner for the university campus.
and if you really need longer get a spare battery like you do for cameras and some laptops.
On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 14:18:55 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

If a basic mains vac won't clean up, something's wrong with it.

so you have to pay over and over. Having used both mains & cordless I don't see the upside, mains are so much more pwoerful, it makes more difference than cordlessness.
NT
On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 14:45:08 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So what, I haven't a basic vac. My broom isn't a vac. it does not suck.

Just get a new battery.

and I can't see the point of a mains one when for what I want the cordless does the job.

Have you ever bought a replacement battery for a power tool? Especially one a few years old?
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 15:54:58 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I brought my portable vacuum after my mains one was causing problems not picking upo the dirt etc... there's was a split in the hose near the bottem that required a replacement. Then argos offered a part exchange so I upgraded.

No never had to. I've only ever known one person to need a new battery for their Apple laptop too and that was after 6 years. I don't worry about buyoijng anew lump of cheese if the one in the fridge gets a bit mouldy. I see every object as a disposable one. I can't think of anything other than gold that lasts forever.
in fact even your skin changes every month, or do you thinko you keep yuor skin throught your life.
Do you not buy products that have batteries in them, because they might need replacing.

You don't have much experience of laptops, then.

Good for you. Probably stems from being able to purchase things for your employer. Doesn't matter if they are value for money.

I don't pay for new skin.

Not might. Will. But you are perfectly free to waste your money on anything you want to.
--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 17:38:17 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

e:

t picking upo the dirt etc... there's was a split in the hose near the bott em that required a replacement. Then argos offered a part exchange so I upg raded.

ly

Some people don't give a hoot about reliability or TCO, then expect handout s when life happens and they've squandered it all. And live forever wishing they had the money to do this that and the other.
8 vacs x £40 each = £320. I get one for a fiver and spend the rest on stuff that actually matters, that makes a difference.
NT
On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 18:12:21 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

uts when life happens and they've squandered it all. And live forever wishi ng they had the money to do this that and the other.

on stuff that actually matters, that makes a difference.
I can buy nearly a 1000 dustpan and brushes for that. http://www.rapidonline.com/Facilities/Sealey-BM04-Dustpan-and-Brush-Set-89- 6397
you've been ripped off,