Theft from locked cars

Page 4 of 4

snipped-for-privacy@suds.com wrote:

Oh, sure, blow a 17 year streak..
snipped-for-privacy@suds.com wrote:

he might not have seen anyone that answers yes because most people that do backup don't need to call a typical helpdesk. Chances are they know much more than the helpdesk consultant :)
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 02:03:49 -0500, Goedjn

Goedjn,
Sorry to break your streak! 8^)>
BB
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 02:03:49 -0500, Goedjn

I've worked with computer users for many years and found that the only people who regularly backup their system are those who lost their important files at one time. I use a double-negative and tell them, "Don't backup anything you don't mind losing."
says...

Erm. How about almost losing files. I fried a hard drive as I was in the process of moving everything from it to a newly purchased hard drive. Piece of metal shorted the drive's control board. All of my academic and other writing, as well as some related research, was on there. My scream woke my wife. Luckily I was able to find another of the same board. Of course, nowadays I do at least semi-regular backups--directly derived from what I felt when I saw the board flash.
                    -Tim
snipped-for-privacy@again.spammers (The Enigmatic One) wrote in says...

There ARE data recovery businesses that can take a HD and remove the platters(in a clean room environment),transfer them to a working drive,and make copies for you. Expensive,I believe.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

they stop working... :^)
But seriously- been there, done that, glad it worked out for you. Back at work, we used to buy tape drives to back up every machine, but gave that up when it became obvious people were not using them. Official backup method is now an assigned partition on LAN, spooled off nightly. They don't use it either. We are considering (shudder) thin clients or locked local drives, with all OA apps locked down to save to LAN only.
aem sends....
And all those files on the laptop are password protected? The really important ones are encrypted too...right?
RB