Theft from locked cars

Wishful thinking at best.

Twice in thirty years, I've been the victim of an auto theft: a 1968 Dodge Dart stolen in June 1979, and a 1986 Suburban stolen in January 2000.

Doug Miller

Because alarms are useless. They keep out the 10 year olds at best. A friend had her alarm equipped car stolen when it was sitting about 30 feet from her office. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

i don't think posting instructions here will motivate ppl to steal... those that want to steal have better resources other than alt.home.repair

car theives i have come across with where mechanics and repo men

-a|ex

Reply to
127.0.0.1

my auto-insurance gives a discount for a professionally installed theft-deterant device. a hidden kill switch...

but for those with valuables in plain view, forget it. unless you have a military grade hummer, you'll be left with broken pieces of glass and missing items.

-a|ex

Reply to
127.0.0.1

When I was going away on business and had to park at any of the NYC area airports I never worried about someone messing with my car. I had a slight 'fender bender' that I didn't bother to get repaired (used the money from the other party's insurance company to put wall to wall carpet in our bedroom) and put some beef blood over that area

- it made it look like the car had been involved in a hit and run and no one ever bothered it while it was parked at the airports.

Reply to
avoidspam

It might be a deterrent as far as thefts go, but definitely a magnet if you are looking for getting hit with a charge of animal abuse!

Reply to
avoidspam

Perfect target for anyone looking for hard to find parts!

Reply to
avoidspam

Both were taken by joyriders.

Doug Miller

I had a '68 Chevelle stolen in '74. Gorgeous, low mileage. I'd just spent a couple weeks on the finish (after work). Never saw it again. Broke my heart.

..and all 50 of those want world peace. :-)

Joe F.

Reply to
rb608

Both of mine were recovered. The thieves that stole my Dart had a minor accident the next day in the middle of a busy intersection, which resulted in the other driver calling the cops. And when the Suburban was stolen, they ditched it a few hours later when they stole some other guy's car. By coincidence, his auto insurance is through the same *agent* (not just the same company) as mine. I had already called the agent; when the second guy called in, he described the Suburban, and the agent put two and two together and called me right away. "Does your Suburban have thus-and-such bumper sticker on it?" Yep, sure does. "Well, we found it..."

Doug Miller

Locking an animal in a car is not automaticaly abuse, any more than locking them in your house.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Where's the "joy" in driving either of those? 8^)>

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

The trunk lock on my mother's mid-'80's car (US maker mid-size sedan) screwed up once (the cylinder turns inside a soft nylon bushing, which simply rounded off its flat sides, but that's off topic) and I was faced with some friend's luggage stuck in the trunk. I was eventually referred to a local body-shop guy; I pulled into his yard and started telling him the problem, and before I got five words out he had it open. The only thing in his hand was a piece of bent wire. I'll stop short of describing just what he did (if only because it happened so fast I didn't even catch it) but it had nothing to do with the lock cylinder itself and it left no marks or damage.

Truthfully, it would be simpler to do it his way than to fumble for the right key. If a thief had done this in a parking lot, I'd be hard-pressed to convince someone I'd ever put the goods in there to begin with - or I'd have to suspect family members who had copies of the key.

Inadvertent poor security? I strongly suspect that entry methods are deliberately engineered, to accomodate lock-outs.

Now, the problem with the lock, *that* was astonishingly poor engineering.

Chip C Tor>

Reply to
Chip C

As hard as a chevy? Whoopteedoo! Like, every car thief goes on and on about how hard a Chevy is to steal!

Then what's the point? Being better than useless is not the same as being good.

They haven't made any significant change in the vehicles sold in NA. They are trivially easy to steal. The only thing that will stop a car thief (according to a reformed car thief interviewed on a news special recently) is a combination of an alarm and club. They won't waste their time when there's easier picking in the next parking spot.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

You are not a very good reader. Your comprehension (is that word too big for you?) is very poor.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Mine did too before we moved to another state - here we don't get it!

Reply to
avoidspam

I guess it depends on where you are located - local laws prevail and here it is, maybe in your area it isn't!

Reply to
avoidspam

Most places I know of, you have to abuse an animal to be charged with animal abuse. Locking an animal in a car on a hot day with the windows rolled up would qualify, but not simply locking an animal in a car under humane conditions.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

_I_ have a comprehension problem? I ask why the idiots in Detroit can't make theftproof cars and you respond with nonsense about a trivial change made by Ford. Do you know what theftproof means? Are you challenged by doorknobs? - You think car thieves are?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Yes, you clearly have a comprehension problem. It seems to be aggravated by a lack of critical thinking skills.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor