Theft from locked cars

Like home security schemes, you *can't* prevent burglary -- you can only make it difficult enough that the thief will move on to easier pickings.

I read a very amusing article by a fellow who'd had numerous car sound systems and cars stolen, and finally started driving a featurless junker, which was stolen. Police told him old, anonymous cars were desirable as getaway vehicles.

Reply to
Frogleg

I knew a fellow who proudly showed me all his security features. He had an extensive alarm system, complete with pager and ignition kill. He also had a removable stereo that fit into a custom shoulder bag. The finishing touch was that he had a removable steering wheel that also had a fancy shoulder bag.

I immediately pointed out to him that while his car was "slightly" safer, he would now be a choice target for muggers (and possible death) as he walked around NYC with those fancy bags hanging off his shoulder.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

I remember reading about someone who had a little sports car he greatly valued. After multiple neighbor's cars were stolen, he took to parking it on the lawn with a chain from the car around one of the big trees in his yard. One day, he discovered the car was now locked to the other tree, and a sign was attached reading "if I want it, I'll take it".

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I myself have never really cared for this approach. While removing the steering wheel and stereo faceplate might make the car a less likeable target, it's a real pain in the butt to remove them everytime you get out of the car, so they end up being left on, thus doing no good at all.

the idea of electrifying the entire exterior would be desirable at times, but can't be done for liability reasons.

Same with flooding the interior with some of the wild chemical gasses when an intrusion is detected...

*sigh* danged liability laws... :)
Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

So what is your point?

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Erm. How about almost losing files. I fried a hard drive as I was in the process of moving everything from it to a newly purchased hard drive. Piece of metal shorted the drive's control board. All of my academic and other writing, as well as some related research, was on there. My scream woke my wife. Luckily I was able to find another of the same board. Of course, nowadays I do at least semi-regular backups--directly derived from what I felt when I saw the board flash.

-Tim

Reply to
The Enigmatic One

snipped-for-privacy@again.spammers (The Enigmatic One) wrote in news:wrMLb.60205$Fg.34802@lakeread01:

There ARE data recovery businesses that can take a HD and remove the platters(in a clean room environment),transfer them to a working drive,and make copies for you. Expensive,I believe.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Doncha know- electronic stuff all runs on smoke- once you let the smoke out, they stop working... :^)

But seriously- been there, done that, glad it worked out for you. Back at work, we used to buy tape drives to back up every machine, but gave that up when it became obvious people were not using them. Official backup method is now an assigned partition on LAN, spooled off nightly. They don't use it either. We are considering (shudder) thin clients or locked local drives, with all OA apps locked down to save to LAN only.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers