Theft from locked cars

Page 2 of 4
I remember reading about someone who had a little sports car he greatly valued. After multiple neighbor's cars were stolen, he took to parking it on the lawn with a chain from the car around one of the big trees in his yard. One day, he discovered the car was now locked to the other tree, and a sign was attached reading "if I want it, I'll take it".
Bob
BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

I myself have never really cared for this approach. While removing the steering wheel and stereo faceplate might make the car a less likeable target, it's a real pain in the butt to remove them everytime you get out of the car, so they end up being left on, thus doing no good at all.
the idea of electrifying the entire exterior would be desirable at times, but can't be done for liability reasons.
Same with flooding the interior with some of the wild chemical gasses when an intrusion is detected...
*sigh* danged liability laws... :)

So what is your point?
BB
Joseph Meehan wrote:

I agree.. it never has been really safe... and the person that put thier groceries and the immediately left to go into another store was just asking for it. Thieves watch for things like that. If the person would have just driven around the parking lot first, then chances are thier stuff would have still been there when they returned.
Lesson 1: never put things into your trunk in plain view of someone watching and then immediately leave...

[snip account of theft from trunk]

"No longer safe"? What makes you think it _ever_was_ ? There's nothing new here. I had stuff stolen out of my trunk in 1979.
[snip instuctions for breaking into car trunks]
Why would you post instructions to make it easier for thieves? Idiot.

i don't think posting instructions here will motivate ppl to steal... those that want to steal have better resources other than alt.home.repair
car theives i have come across with where mechanics and repo men
-a|ex

It is very easy to avoid damage to the door lock. Don't lock it I think locking a car is foolish. The pro will get in no matter what you do, the joy riders and pilferers will damage the care and get little from you.
Yes, my car is open. Yes, I've had it broken into twice. No, I did not lose anything because thee was nothing to steal. Glove box was rifled, but nothing taken. OTOH, cars parked along side mine had broken windows, scratched up paint, etc. Ed
wrote in message

lose
It can happen. An elderly Floridian called 911 on her cell phone to report that her car has been broken into. Hysterically she explains her situation to the dispatcher. "They've stolen the stereo, the steering wheel, the brake pedal and even the accelerator!" she cried. The dispatcher said, "Stay calm, an officer is on the way." A few minutes later, the officer radios in, "Disregard...she got in the back-seat by mistake."
Great one, Martin. Thanks for a good laugh! Des
wrote in message

the
report
pedal

I have since moved, but in the city where I lived it was illegal to leave your car unlocked. They said an unlocked car was encouraging theft, and the owner is partly responsible. Strange, but true. If a theif wants inside, they are going to get in. I had my license plates stolen one time and had to do all kinds of stupid paperwork and buy new plates (I use hex bolts now instead of slotted screws).
I disable the automatic trunk opening device in my cars. Get some exercise by getting out of the car and opening the trunk manually. Des

Klm wrote:

<snipped>
Uh, why has no one mentioned car alarms?
I realize that they are often ignored by the public, but they might just cause some thieves to decide to run for it before they get far enough in to steal your stuff.
Just my .02
Jeff (Who happily drives a 13 year old car with only 80K on it, which most thieves will pass up for a wealthier looking buggy.)
-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

They are all but useless. In big cities it's not unusual to see a tow truck hauling a car down the street with the car's alarm blaring. No one cares, or is about to risk trying to intervene.
There have been cases where crooks would deliberately set off the alarm on a car they wanted. The owner would come out and reset it. Then a short while later they would set it off again. Usually by the second or third time, they would shake the car and find that the owner had shut the thing off for the night because he was tired of the "false alarms".
This is a new version of what battery thieves do. They steal the battery out of a car, knowing that if they come back in a few days, there will be a nice brand new battery in the same car, just waiting for them.
BB

You are a smart guy, Jeff. Driving an older vehicle is the best theft deterrent around. Des

Des Perado wrote:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/92/92fchameleon.phtml
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 05:12:42 -0600, Dan Hartung

When I was going away on business and had to park at any of the NYC area airports I never worried about someone messing with my car. I had a slight 'fender bender' that I didn't bother to get repaired (used the money from the other party's insurance company to put wall to wall carpet in our bedroom) and put some beef blood over that area - it made it look like the car had been involved in a hit and run and no one ever bothered it while it was parked at the airports.

I've always thought a big nasty looking dog sitting in the car was the most effective deterrent. Maybe the only real deterrent...
BB

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:05:58 GMT, BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

It might be a deterrent as far as thefts go, but definitely a magnet if you are looking for getting hit with a charge of animal abuse!
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:58:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

Locking an animal in a car is not automaticaly abuse, any more than locking them in your house.
BB
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:49:29 GMT, BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

I guess it depends on where you are located - local laws prevail and here it is, maybe in your area it isn't!