telephone wiring problem

Page 2 of 2

Jim Redelfs wrote:

If you look at the old model 500 desk sets you will find that some had a grove in the top of one of the switch hook buttons. That was to allow you to pull the button up further than the spring would move it when the handset was lifted off of the cradle. Pulling up on the switch hook buttons of a properly configured telephone would disconnect the pair from all other extension telephones on the premise to assure the users privacy. The switch hook button was used to do this so that the switch would not remain open after the completion of the call. Hanging up the phone would reset the special switch to normal. Since the phones of that era were hard wired to the pair there was no possibility of disabling the line by unplugging the telephone. With the advent of modular plugs the use of such a phone required the installation of an RJ31X jack so that if the instrument was unplugged the continuity of the line was kept intact by shorting bars built into the jack.
--
Tom Horne

Jud McCranie wrote:

Hmmm, Forget it and go cordless on that part of the house. My house has one base cordelss and on it, we have 4 handsets. If I need, I can add more handsets.

Some of these claim to accept up to 10 handsets, up to 2 of which can be active simultaneously.

Mark Lloyd

We have a cordless, but I don't like cordless phones (poor sound quality, etc, etc, etc).
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:41:11 -0500, Jud McCranie

I haven't noticed a quality problem in recent phones, unless you do something like get on the other side of a large metal object from the base on get too close to the limit of its range (normally considerably less than claimed).

Mark Lloyd
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:12:19 -0600, Mark Lloyd

They're always cutting out or sound like you are in a barrel, etc. At least the ones I've tried to use.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:46:48 -0500, Jud McCranie
Thanks to everyone who replied. Although some of the discussion was over my head, I learned enough to get the much-needed kitchen wall phone/answering machine working again. I know what to do to try to get the others back, if needed.
--
Replace you know what by j to email