Telephone Wiring Mystery

Page 2 of 4
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 17:07:32 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

On 12/30/2012 07:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

[snip]
I seem to remember something about an additional wire (yellow?) used for ring control on some party lines.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 12/30/2012 04:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you have a 6-wire cable (apparently the only thing the local Lowes sells), the third pair is blue/white.
I've also seen 3-pair cable that had green, blue, and orange (solid/stripe) pairs. Also 3-wire cable (red/green/yellow, no black).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Nope. It was just a modular extension cord that I could afford to cut in half and bare the wires, allowing me to check color to color with an ammeter. I installed it, and it, and both DSL modem and the telephone seem to be working fine.
--
croy

How many amps for phone, or DSL? AC or DC?

Nope. It was just a modular extension cord that I could afford to cut in half and bare the wires, allowing me to check color to color with an ammeter.
I installed it, and it, and both DSL modem and the telephone seem to be working fine.
--
croy

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:05:57 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I think it is something like 20ma that causes the line to go off hook
The line is nominally 48VDC on hook and pulled down around 5-10 off hook.
The max they say they will source is around a half amp but they don't say what voltage that will end up being. I bet you can't really get that much.
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:21:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Two miles of 26GA wire (one mile from the CO to the house) is around 400ohms, so that's 120mA into a short. 24GA wire would be around 250ohms. Scale from there.
So, the guy cut a modular cord in half, and used ammeter to check the wires. I wonder how many amps he had, in the cut cord?

I think it is something like 20ma that causes the line to go off hook
The line is nominally 48VDC on hook and pulled down around 5-10 off hook.
The max they say they will source is around a half amp but they don't say what voltage that will end up being. I bet you can't really get that much.
To the op Think about how the modular extension cord that you cut in half was made. Are the two halves now EXACTLY the same or are they mirror images of each other. Mark
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 06:03:40 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Ahah! Well that's a dirty trick! :-}
They are mirror-images.
Thanks for the tip.
--
croy

I checked the line here, about 10 years ago. I got 50VDC when on hook, and 6VDC when off.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I was just checking resistance. From the bared wires, thru the modular plug and jack, to the screw-terminals on the back of the cover-plate.
--
croy

Black and yellow have also been used for the dial light power on Princess and Trimline phones.
On 12/30/2012 4:45 PM, mike wrote:

If you are using old wiring. They moved away from quad station wire some time ago.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=rj-11+color&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights =
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/telephone-wiring-mystery-729928-.htm DA wrote: croy wrote:

Telephone equipment transmits balanced signals - i.e. only the voltage difference between the two wires matters for its operation, not the actual polarity (which is very often flipped, just like in your case). In other words, it will work.
The yellow and black wires are for a second line. If you don't have a second phone line, just disregard the yellow/black pair.
--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

There are 4 ways you can crimp on the RJ plugs and the people who make up cords only care about 2 (reversing polarity or straight through) The phone really doesn't care unless it is an old genuine Bell/Western Electric phone with the mechanical ringer and touch tone. They won't "tone" wired backward.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:57:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

One of the phones *is* an old "Princess" model, with lighted pushbuttons in the handset, and a real bell for a ringer. It seems to be working fine.
--
croy

Then you must have lucked out and got the right connections. IF you want to experiment, reverse the two wire going to the princess phone and see if you can still touchtone. I'm not sure if it will still work or not.

Don't forget that you can only have so many real phones on your phone line. They have a Ringer Equivalency Number of 1, and the maximum sum is 3 or 4. If you go over that number that phone or all the phones won't ring. Modern, phoney phones have RENs like 0.2.
On 12/30/2012 08:38 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]
There was no other power source for the bell, and they needed to be loud enough to be heard a long way off.

The REN on my cordless phone is listed as 0.0B . It COULDN'T be drawing no current at all.
BTW, I now have phone from the cable company. I don't know it's REN capacity, but it's working for me with 2 "real" phones as well as the cordless and a 13-year-old DVR connected.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us