Outdoor pendant light question

The prior owners of my house put a double floodlight on the wall alongside my deck for lighting. I was looking at lamps to replace it. I found that the light I liked has a sibling that hangs. I've always thought of outdoor pendant lights as being used under a ceiling. I have a pergola over my deck. Can an outdoor pendant light be hung from the pergola?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

It should say =93suitable for wet location=94 on the fixture.

Reply to
recyclebinned

Sure if it's rated for outdoor use.

Reply to
trader4

Since you said it's an outdoor light, one would assume that it's allowed to get wet. However, I'd be concerned about water running down the wire/chain (or whatever it's hung by) and getting into the body.

Can you tell if it's sealed on top to prevent water from entering the fixture?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, what are your concerns?

Reply to
RBM

The biggest problem with outdoor pendants is the wire breaks if they move in the wind. A little swing over a number of years will do it.

I have pretty much gotten rid of all of my PAR38 flood/spots and put other fixtures there or wired the lights somewhere else and blocked off the 1/2" ports. I also have 15w sign bulbs in a couple by the shed. I just want to see my way around in the dark, This isn't the Berlin Wall.

The glare would screw up my sight picture anyway ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell