Wood Pellet Stove Firebox Heat Treating

An interesting read regarding the topic being discussed. And, it is very applicable, because almost everyone has access to an oven, or a weed burner that they could turn into a metal heater with just a few fire bricks. A very effective way of adding the properties you want to something you are building, in this case, to keep the OP's firebox from warping.

And to the OP: Keep in mind that in your final product, you will want a way for the ash to fall away, so don't make the holes too small. And that it may take more than one to get to one that performs satisfactorily.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It even mentions maraging steels!

Good read, thanks.

Reply to
croy

Great article on heat treating

but won't grate get hot enough during use to lose any heat treat imparted?

Additionally, OP's expanded metal must be a heat treatable alloy in order for the heat treatment to work.

My experience will cold worked steel products such as rolled, stamped or expanded metals..... they tend to be low carbon & thus on the ragged edge of heat treatability . :(

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Yes, I have had my fireplace grate get hot enough to cause the iron to melt and sag, so you would have to use a super-high metal to be strong enough to not react with a long-burning fire.

Reply to
hrhofmann