Stove with Boiler, smokeless zone

Folks,

I would rather like to have a boiler stove in the lounge, so I can heat my central heating with solid fuel (as a supplement to the boiler)

The problem is (Or is it?) I live in a smokeless zone.

I quite like the idea of making bricks from paper, and then burning them, as this is free heating, and in the current times, has to be a good idea!

Is this a possibility in a smokeless zone, so do I need to move!?

Thanks!

Reply to
Toby

It's not a possibility anywhere. To heat a fairly average house you would need somewhere between a tonne and two tonnes of paper per year. If you have time to collect that much paper and mulch it down into papier mache then compact it into "bricks" and dry it down to the appropriate moisture content before burning it then you have too much time on your hands.

And even if you could collect the paper and make the bricks then you would find that it makes poor quality fuel.

I burn most of our newspaper in a log burner, and simply roll them up then put a crimp in the roll to stop them unwinding. Even so they make a lot of ash by comparison with logs, and they don't last very long. I can get rid of a month's papers in a couple of days.

You need to get a grip on reality.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have a look at

've got the Yorkshire multi fuel, with boiler. Last winters gas bill was £16.

Forget paper, you will need wood, the dryer the better.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end "for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

How much did you spend on wood?

Not knocking it, I want a wood burning stove, spouse objects for several reasons. I want to knock down his arguments. So far I'm doing pretty well.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nowt! I am lucky in that I have managed to source a supply of free wood. All that I can use The only downside is that not all of it is seasoned, and its softwood.

From what I have seen there are always sources of free wood around, from skips, to companies that want to get rid of packaging. A friend of mine has found a company that deals in valves, BIG valves, they always have packaging (3X3X various lengths) to get rid off. Don't forget that if a company has wood to get rid of, it is considered to be commercial waste, and they would have to pay for it to disposed of, so everybody wins.

It wasn't cheap to install, but we figured that it would take approx 5 years to pay for itself. Much better than other methods of auxiliary heating. Also there is nothing like the smell of a real fire. The only thing I could do without is the dust.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end "for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

We're in the same position, he says that we haven't room to store it all but I reckon I could easily make room by chucking out all his stored junk.

That's right. He works with wood and folk are always offering him it, we havce to turn it away. When the tree surgeons come to the very large acers opposite they would love us to have the branches - even offer to cut them for us but of course he'd want to do it himself, fair enough.

Didn't think of that, yes, I'll keep that bit of ammo.

Oh, I've told him they don't make much :-( But anyway, it would hardly be noticed here, with all the bone, horn, wood and straw dust he makes.

They are expensive but I reckon one would save money and pay for itself in unused gas over a very few years. We've no idea of the true cost of gas because we capped ours eight years ago and it will stay low until 2010 but it will hit us hard when we have to pay full whack, I expect.

The place you mentioned isn't far from us either ...

Thanks,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I hope he has a waste disposal operators license. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

It's not waste, it's firewood.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No its waste, it would be fire wood if they make it and sell to him. However as packaging waste they need to dispose of it in a licensed way. Maybe they should add it to their catalogue of products?

AFAICS if they just let people take their waste they are committing an offense as it has to be traceable these days.

Reply to
dennis

BTW if its contaminated with oil or paint or preservatives it may even be toxic waste.

Reply to
dennis

And invoice him a tenner.

"Random Arrangement of Wood with Paint Splatter" - should be worth an Arts Council grant.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It should be, but you will only get it by sleeping with the board, all of them probably.

Reply to
dennis