Target, home depot card security:(

It is a big debate in security circles. Cracking usually takes a few minutes using hashes. I have had to crack users password before and that is about how long it took me. A few I could not crack, no matter how many times I ran the routine. (It is easier just to reset their password to blank. That always works)

The big debate is if they failed to crack your password the first time, why give them a new one they may be able to crack the next time through. Some IT folks knees jerk pretty hard when the subject arises.

I just use a huge, nasty password. And, never reuse a password on other sites!

Also, with Fedora Linux, you can encrypt your entire hard drive. If you have anything sensitive or private on it, it is a real good idea. You can do it with Windows to, but it is a super pain in the arse! It is quite seamless in Fedora.

Reply to
Todd

The thing I love about open source is that if you write a respectful letter to the author, you can usually get bugs fixed. Try that with Microsoft! ("How many copies did you buy? HAHAHAHAH")

Reply to
Todd

eir systems secure:(

Good luck with that. Few people have the time or fortitude to find and read the legal fine print where companies spell that out. And it's not like I'm going to not shop at HD, Target or Walmart because of their privacy policies.

Agree with the rest of your advice.

And most of all, make

Reply to
trader_4

Baah, I'll show you guys. Wait till I get the four million pounds sterling that nice general from King Nambu Nambu's tribe promised me. Right before I gave him my bank account and routing numbers.

Such a nice general.

Darn shame the English deposed the king and burned down the Parlaimentary building in Nigeria.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

| I'm a Windows person and hard to convince to convert but the more I have | to work with open source software at work, the more comfortable I get | with the *nix. | Linux is no miracle. The Bash bug currently in the news has been there for 22 years, and so far I've yet to find or be told of any reasonably usable Linux firewall that will selectively block outgoing processes. It's designed to be a server and Linux/OSS is a kind of religion for far too many people. So there tends to be an attitude that you don't have to worry about software calling home because it's just calling "nice churchgoing folks" like yourself. That's not security. Nor is the similar Apple attitude that Lord Jobs wouldn't let the Apple faithful suffer by getting infected with bugs. There's no untouchable operating system. Macs just allow one to be a bit more lazy... for the time being... and assuming that you don't mind Apple themselves spying on you.

As Todd pointed out, Win7 is getting attacked slightly more than XP, which no longer gets patches. But what the Microsoft marketing dept and the lapdog media don't mention is that nearly all risks are not actually in the operating system. Script, Flash, Silverlight, Acrobat plugins, MS Office files, Java, rigged ZIP attachments.... those are the risks. (In addition to "phishing".) The attack venues are browsers, email programs, and other software that goes online. Many people think Win7 is safer than XP, but that's just default settings. You can run as a restricted user on XP just as you can on Win7, if that's what you want. And I'd far rather be using the latest Firefox on XP as Administrator than using Internet Explorer on Win7 with UAC enabled.

But if you use interactive websites and allow the items listed above -- especially script -- then you're always at risk on any computer. Script in webpages turns them into software programs running on your computer. There's no way to make that entirely safe.

There was an interesting, ironic story this week about how the IRS is paying out billions in scam IRS refunds, to people who are filing dummy forms in the name of real people -- or at least real SS numbers. The IRS apparently thought online filing was slick, economical and futuristic. Apparently they thought it was inherently more dependable than paper filing. So they don't require any sort of paperwork for online filing. You can file your taxes with no W2 or 1099 form!

The one thing in your original post I would be inclined to comment on is the part about privacy policies. They mean nothing. Virtually all of them include a "mickey mouse clause" that says the policy may be changed at any time unilaterally. Most also claim unrestricted rights to your files and data. They usually say your files and data will only be used "to provide and improve the service", but that's flimsy language. If they sell their database to marketers, then invest that money in the service, then your private info was arguably sold to improve the service. We have webmail companies that claim the right to read your private correspondence, promising it's "anonymized". There's no such thing as anonymized. And their privacy policies are usually claiming co-ownership of your files. That's not a privacy policy. It's an intrusion policy.

So as far as corporate privacy policies go, they should all be read to be saying, "If you give us *any* private information we will try our best to make money from it. You give us that right in giving us the information." Then decide what you want to share.

Even if there were a company trying to be honest, things change. Leaders change. Businesses change. (Google ran an honest business at one time. Remember?) A business might be sold. Some of the issues are hard to even know: CVS is selling out their customers to drug companies. Even if you happen to have heard that, do you have a choice about shopping at CVS? If so, can we be sure that Walgreens is not selling their database?

Reply to
Mayayana

Linux is not bug free. But there attitude is different than Windows. When the discover them, they fix them. Microsoft only fixes things when it causes them embarrassment in the public arena. And Linux has somewhere to report bugs, which they actually fix, rather than letting them pile up until the have an unmanageable house of cards, like Windows Frankenstein (w8).

Mayayana is correct in the above.

The bad guys are lazy. They want the easiest way to break into your system. And that would be to trick the user instead of trying to hack portions of the operating system.

A good security feature is to turn off Java and Flash. Use HTML5 plugins in Firefox for You Tube, if you must.

Also, Internet Explorer (IE) "is" part of the operating system and is very easy to exploit. Firefox and Chrome are just programs. That is why IE is so dangerous to run.

UAC does nothing except annoy the user. The bad guys and many legitimate guys have long been able to get around it. M$ actually admitted to this. I turn UAC off for my and my customers sanity.

Here is a great tip for Windows users. Enable your Administrator account with a strong password. Then remove your Administrators privileges from your user account. Only run the Administrator's account when you know you want to install something, then get right back out.

Windows tip: Clean out your accursed junkware. I love this tool:

Todd

The certain amount of time is now too short for that to make a major diff erence

-- last year, a tech reporter downloaded a list of 16,000 encrypted passw ords and was able to decipher 47% of them in a few hours. The article says th is:

"While Anderson's 47-percent success rate is impressive, it's miniscule w hen compared to what real crackers can do, as Anderson himself made clear. To prove the point, we gave them the same list and watched over their shoulders as they tore it to shreds. To put it mildly, they didn't disappoint. Even the lea st successful cracker of our trio?who used the least amount of hardw are, devoted only one hour, used a tiny word list, and conducted an interview througho ut the process?was able to decipher 62 percent of the passwords. Our top cracker snagged 90 percent of them."

That's from:

-of-your-passwords/1/

That's pretty much how I made the leap 6 years ago ? the only thi ng I'd do differently would be to use live CDs/DVDs to try out a bunch of different distros, not believe claims that only the one with a big PR budget is user-friendly. :-)

You might want to try BSD first if you're really concerned about security . Linux is being changed under-the-hood in ways that will make it easier fo r government orgs like the NSA to tamper with it without being caught, and I'm finding it less stable, so I'm thinking of switching to PC-BSD myself.

Reply to
D.D.

I sure the hell hope your right

Reply to
ChairMan

ChairMan posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

NO, they have to start with a brain IMPLANT!

Reply to
Tekkie®

Thanks, Doctor. For prescribing surgery to people, after not reading the messages.

I was being a bit absurd in the last post, to make a point. But you made it better than I did.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WHy not they make some customized card that help you to use easily for working in any environment. Mostly companies made their customised card for security and other things. 'What your stock broker doesn’t want you to see'

stockbrokers

Or you can use any other way that help you to increase the security of your home like biometric and other devices.

Reply to
stockbrokers

Then you share it with us. There is a lot of that going around.

Reply to
gonjah