Tankless water heaters -- inneresting take.

Heck, the first tankless water heater I installed needed two 240 volt circuits run to it. ^_^
TDD

In a very large plant where I worked two tankless water heaters were installed. It was then discovered that it would cost a couple of thousand dollars to get the power to them, so they were then taken out. There is plenty of power at the plant. About 10 rooms where some 13,200 volts come in and is converted to 480 volts 3 phase and other voltages. It was just where the hot water was wanted was too far away from one of the power rooms. Later some regular tank type heaters were installed as we did have some 240 volt circuits close by that could supply 20 amps.

Did they fire the idjit that didn't know how much it would cost to power them before they were installed.
Did they at least total up the dollars that were wasted by the poor planning and dock the guy's pay? (Not that they ever, ever do that.)

No, there was nothing said about it at all. Very seldom was anything said about engineering blunders. That may be part of the reason that back in 1972 when I started there were 2500 workers, 500 supervisors and office workers and a bout 100 construction people there. Now there is less than 500 people total at the plant. The other reason it the product is now being made in Mexico Turkey and maybe other countries.
On 1/31/2013 5:49 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

They should have asked Joe The Plumber before proceeding. ^_^
TDD
Yow, that sounds like an expensive lack of planning.
In a very large plant where I worked two tankless water heaters were installed. It was then discovered that it would cost a couple of thousand dollars to get the power to them, so they were then taken out. There is plenty of power at the plant. About 10 rooms where some 13,200 volts come in and is converted to 480 volts 3 phase and other voltages. It was just where the hot water was wanted was too far away from one of the power rooms. Later some regular tank type heaters were installed as we did have some 240 volt circuits close by that could supply 20 amps.
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:27:29 -0600, The Daring Dufas

are two 150A panels in the basement). ;-)
On Jan 31, 8:05pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

electric tankless generally require one at least 200 amp main just for heating water, in cold climates it still doesnt work well..........................

Well, the main is 300A (150+150), though that's everything. The two heat pumps need a little of that. It was kinda cold today (48F).
Just for the record, I was commenting on the statement "and the voltage is 220 volts in them there places". We generally have 240V available too.

And of course you miss the point.
--
EA

Actually you missed with your alleged point But then, considering it was a strawman, that's no surprise.

that's generally the hold house/apt water heater. time to get to the shower head is minimal, but can take longer to get elsewhere in the house. since these are retrofitted to very old places, that's frequently one of the only places it can go.
When I was a kid, my grand parents lived in the 2nd floor of a house. Took near to forever for the hot water to get up from the cellar. I'm sure they would have benefitted from an instant.

that's generally the hold house/apt water heater. time to get to the shower head is minimal, but can take longer to get elsewhere in the house. since these are retrofitted to very old places, that's frequently one of the only places it can go.
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:24:58 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Or a 5 gallon POU tank. By the time the 5 gallons was used, the hot water had arrived.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:24:58 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I have that problem in our current house. The master bath is about 50' from the water heater. One of these days I'll probably put a point of use heater in the basement under the master. ...or just move the tank (probably when it fails).

When it fails, it will happen on a cold morning, 2 days before your weekend guests are due to arrive. You'll barely have time to install the only overpriced unit you can find that day, in the same location as it is now. Isn't that how it always happens?
If you really want a POU unit or just want to move the tank, you ought to start planning it - and plumbing it - when everything is in working order.
On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 00:03:52 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Sure. Our septic system backed up Thanksgiving morning.
However, a POU unit won't change that. Moving the tank would negate the need for the POU heater.

What needs to work? It's just pipe (and electricity, but that's trivial). I can see adding the new one before ripping out the old one but advanced planning? I'd rather not touch plumbing until I need to.
You been watching me on sattelite or something? The one time I changed my water heater, it was about 10 degrees, and 16 inches snow on the ground. The tank leaked. I had to use a snow blower to cut a path across my yard, to the WH. I got to drive to the store, buy a new tank, and plumb it in while it was snowing. Of course, on trailers, the WH access is through the exterior door. The door was just big enough for a tall 30, and those cost a lot more money than tall 40.
When it fails, it will happen on a cold morning, 2 days before your weekend guests are due to arrive. You'll barely have time to install the only overpriced unit you can find that day, in the same location as it is now. Isn't that how it always happens?
If you really want a POU unit or just want to move the tank, you ought to start planning it - and plumbing it - when everything is in working order.
On 1/31/13 8:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, of course. It was special. Direct vent, too, probably.
Man, I don't got no privacy, no mo! You're right.