Tankless water heaters -- inneresting take.

Love to see one of those suckers survive anywhere much north of the Mason Dixon line.

Reply to
clare

AKA "the widowmaker". They used to be common in the caribean too. I think they have been pretty well outlawed in most "civilized" countries. Either that or the've been mandated to use GFI breakers - which means most will give you a cold shower anyway.

Reply to
clare

Many of them are POU heaters - "point of use" - they do not supply hot water anywhere else.

Quite often a small tank or tankless POU under the sink in the kitchen too. MOST hold about a gallon of heated water in reserve

Reply to
clare

Or a 5 gallon POU tank. By the time the 5 gallons was used, the hot water had arrived.

Reply to
clare

BTW, 240V is available in the US, too.

Reply to
krw

I have that problem in our current house. The master bath is about

50' from the water heater. One of these days I'll probably put a point of use heater in the basement under the master. ...or just move the tank (probably when it fails).
Reply to
krw

Heck, the first tankless water heater I installed needed two 240 volt circuits run to it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In a very large plant where I worked two tankless water heaters were installed. It was then discovered that it would cost a couple of thousand dollars to get the power to them, so they were then taken out. There is plenty of power at the plant. About 10 rooms where some 13,200 volts come in and is converted to 480 volts 3 phase and other voltages. It was just where the hot water was wanted was too far away from one of the power rooms. Later some regular tank type heaters were installed as we did have some 240 volt circuits close by that could supply 20 amps.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

When it fails, it will happen on a cold morning, 2 days before your weekend guests are due to arrive. You'll barely have time to install the only overpriced unit you can find that day, in the same location as it is now. Isn't that how it always happens?

If you really want a POU unit or just want to move the tank, you ought to start planning it - and plumbing it - when everything is in working order.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Did they fire the idjit that didn't know how much it would cost to power them before they were installed.

Did they at least total up the dollars that were wasted by the poor planning and dock the guy's pay? (Not that they ever, ever do that.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

easier to install a recycle line, that pumps hot water to your far location continiously, or after you push a button before using....

Reply to
bob haller

Hmm, I'll bet I have more than two 240V circuits in my house (there are two 150A panels in the basement). ;-)

Reply to
krw

electric tankless generally require one at least 200 amp main just for heating water, in cold climates it still doesnt work well..........................

Reply to
bob haller

Sure. Our septic system backed up Thanksgiving morning.

However, a POU unit won't change that. Moving the tank would negate the need for the POU heater.

What needs to work? It's just pipe (and electricity, but that's trivial). I can see adding the new one before ripping out the old one but advanced planning? I'd rather not touch plumbing until I need to.

Reply to
krw

Well, the main is 300A (150+150), though that's everything. The two heat pumps need a little of that. It was kinda cold today (48F).

Just for the record, I was commenting on the statement "and the voltage is 220 volts in them there places". We generally have 240V available too.

Reply to
krw

I don't see that at all. Moving the WH would be easy. It would be a trivial difference in a replacement. It would probably make it easier.

Reply to
krw

They should have asked Joe The Plumber before proceeding. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You been watching me on sattelite or something? The one time I changed my water heater, it was about 10 degrees, and 16 inches snow on the ground. The tank leaked. I had to use a snow blower to cut a path across my yard, to the WH. I got to drive to the store, buy a new tank, and plumb it in while it was snowing. Of course, on trailers, the WH access is through the exterior door. The door was just big enough for a tall 30, and those cost a lot more money than tall 40.

.

When it fails, it will happen on a cold morning, 2 days before your weekend guests are due to arrive. You'll barely have time to install the only overpriced unit you can find that day, in the same location as it is now. Isn't that how it always happens?

If you really want a POU unit or just want to move the tank, you ought to start planning it - and plumbing it - when everything is in working order.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yow, that sounds like an expensive lack of planning.

.

In a very large plant where I worked two tankless water heaters were installed. It was then discovered that it would cost a couple of thousand dollars to get the power to them, so they were then taken out. There is plenty of power at the plant. About 10 rooms where some 13,200 volts come in and is converted to 480 volts 3 phase and other voltages. It was just where the hot water was wanted was too far away from one of the power rooms. Later some regular tank type heaters were installed as we did have some 240 volt circuits close by that could supply 20 amps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, of course. It was special. Direct vent, too, probably.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman