Tankless hot water heater

Hi...
I'm considering a tankless hot water heater for my home. I have a family of five, four bathrooms and approximately 2500 square feet of living space. The dishwasher and washing machine run fairly often and baths and showers are typical for a family of five. That being said:
Any recommendation on sizing, brand, etc.?
I'm pretty clear on the benefits of one but perhaps someone here can shed some light on possible disadvantages.
Also, what is the approximate time to recover the initial outlay for ont of these units? Keep in mind that I currently rent (21/month) my hot water tank and it's, of couse, always keeping water hot regardless of whether or not I'm using it.
Thanks for the input!
PS I'm located in Ontario in case that impacts advice, etc.
On Feb 4, 2:59�pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

heres a running discussion
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/browse_thread/thread/bab45e84ddd5c447/d310797868b0d518#d310797868b0d518
You will need the largest unit a 190000 btu Look at Takagi or Rinnai. Gas sizing is critical undersize the pipes and you will never get 100% out of it. In winter pressure can be down and all your other apliances compete on the same gas line. Be sure it can be done first. When your family knows the HW is endless the showers and bills could go up, and for some families they do. I will get a 5 yr payback on tankless.
On 4 Feb 2007 11:59:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

I have a thread going on about bosch, but has become a tankless flame session. :D Very informative though. Do a quick search for it.
tom

I had one installed last year. The first one was way too small. The contractor replaced it with largest size bosch makes (3/4 gas intake pipe). It makes 6 gallons at 50 degree rise. You need to know the temperature of the water when it comes into your house. When it is the coldest outside the flow quickly decreases. I would aviod bosch. Also keep in mind the distance between the tankless unit and the faucet farest from the unit. The farther the faucet the longer it takes for hot water to get there. My kitchen sink is about 30 pipe feet from the unit and it takes about 40 seconds to get hot water to this facuet (about 10 seconds longer than the old tank water heater). All of the rest of the faucets are within 20 pipe feet and it only takes 10-15 seconds to get hot water (about the same for the old tank water heater).