When will home prices start droping in coastal areas?

With the hoopla over global warming rising sea levels When will home prices start droping in coastal areas?

Reply to
hallerb

With the hoopla over global warming rising sea levels When will home prices start droping in coastal areas?

Reply to
hallerb

The day after you buy yours....

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Funny but imagine owning beachfront property today. A couple good storms and seeing in some years your home will be IN THE OCEAN:( The pricest homes are beachfront........

I have some realtives who live within a 2 minute walk, not beachfront TODAY but how soon?

Reply to
hallerb

Water front estates in the 8 to 25 million dollar range in BC Canada that have never been on the market have been sold at 'bargain' prices recently. One estate on a point of land was recently sold by it's original owners for 8 million, well under it's market value. It's so low that a rise of a foot in sea level along with bigger storms will see waves washing right over it. Rumor has it that it was sold to an American who doesn't believe in global warming. :)

Reply to
Paul_Walker

Based on the predictions of the rate of sea level rise, about 2150 or so. I doubt an extra foot or so of water is going to deter someone who is built 11-15 feet above (2007) sea level. I could use an extra foot of water in my canal.

Reply to
gfretwell

some are talking 20 feet, will your feet be wet if it rises that much

Reply to
hallerb

sea level

Greetings,

Any time we want to end global warming we can cheaply and easily by simply blocking out a tiny portion of the sun's light. There are many strategies for doing this such as blasting dust into the air with a nuclear weapon creating a small "nuclear winter" designed to counterbalance global warming. Others want to use a sun shield in space or to selectively block out rays which are harmful instead of sunlight across the spectrum. Whatever the end strategy global warming will be stopped, possibly even reversed, whenever people decide to. Environmentalists will probably protest the end and reversal of global warming as much or more than anyone. GLOBAL WARMING WILL NOT END THROUGH REDUCTION IN CARBON EMMISIONS. Even if the USA and Europe cut down, the rest of the world will continue to emit. As long as the USA won't build nuclear power plants to replace other carbon emitting forms of power generation it will be almost impossible for us to make the drastic cuts.

This sounds like it is off the topic of home repair but hopefully it helps in answering your question.

--William Deans

Reply to
William.Deans

You are not considering the storm surges from more powerful storms expected to accompany global warming. There is huge worry about surges moving up rivers, like the Frazer in BC Canada, causing major flood damage miles from the sea.

The wealthy folks, who tend to be the smartest and best informed, are already starting to get out.

It's only a matter of time before flood insurance will become frightfully expensive in these areas if you can buy it at all.

Reply to
Paul_Walker

LOL! Plonking a nut.

Reply to
Paul_Walker

I think this is a valid topic for home repair since it effects homes and their values. I heard 34% of the population live in coastal areas, this can disrupt home values nationwide

Reply to
hallerb

I owe the nut Deans ONE response. Ever try to put plants that require FULL sun in the shade you dumbass. Reducing sunlight even by a small amount would result in plants and sea algae dying making the problem many times worse.

Reply to
Paul_Walker

Sure thing. However if you check you will find that we have already done that. The average sun radiation (light) striking the earth is down about 3% in the last ~20 years as I recall. All that stuff however seems better at blocking what is bounced back. According to the theories I have read, it would take so much crap in the air to deduce the warming that it would be killing off much of our farm production and we would start starving.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Not to mention storm surge. Someone was quoting that the average at the Goldengate bridge is up about 7 inches in the last 15? years.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Related subject: when are they going to envoke not building in 100 year flood plane rule that we have for county's new construction? ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

That is not a rational estimate and far from what any reasonsible scientist has predicted. I am at 14 feet and I will be dead long before that happens, even if you take the worst guess scenario.

Reply to
gfretwell

I imagine our middle east policy will pretty much guarantee that. I think we should just count on somebody over there popping a nuke or three. Iran will probably nuke Israel and Isreal will respond with several before it stops. On the other hand all it would take is a good sized volcano or a small meteor strike to do it. There are so many things we could worry about if we wanted to, that this global warming thing is just the cause of the week.

Reply to
gfretwell

They must be moving to Florida. The only housing market here that is not being affected by the recent downturn are the multimillion dollar castles by the sea

Reply to
gfretwell

Most Americans don't believe in global warming. The bright folks live elsewhere.

Reply to
Paul_Walker

This is a global warming alarmist site and their predictions range from 200mm to a bit over 800 MM in the next 93 years. When the water goes over my dock in the worst case scenario I will be over 150 years old. I will take my chances. Storm surge itself is such a crap shoot I am not losing any sleep over an extra couple feet of sea level. If it is coming it will come today. That is why I have flood insurance and an evacuation plan. Folks who live in the tropics live with bad weather.

Reply to
gfretwell