Vinyl sidiing?

When installing siding, can you screw the vinyl slats to the house itself? Save time chasing them when the wind gets too severe.

Reply to
betsyb

Yes. Read the instruction for the application of vinyl siding. They explain very clearly why you can't do that.

If you live in an area prone to violent wind storms then vinyl siding is a bad choice.

You can screw them, but only if you screw them in the slots to allow movement for expansion and contraction. You should not screw them tightly

If they are coming off in the wind, then they are really cheap, poorly installed or you live on Mt Whitney.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually HOT and windy is worse. The siding is expanded and softer making it more susceptible to high wind damage.

Vinyl siding is a bad choice ANYWHERE

Reply to
Steve Barker

On 04 Feb 2007, "Steve Barker" wrote in alt.home.repair:

Why?

Reply to
Nil

Read the instructions for the application of ANY vinyl siding. Google is your friend...:)

screws would be fine but you have to leave the siding room to expand and contract.

if you screw it down solid temperature changes will make to buckle and distort

Reply to
hallerb

Nil wrote in news:Xns98CDA39DE32DEnilch1@216.196.97.136:

Because it all look like plastic crap, that's why.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Yes, some old cheap stuff certainly did, but many new types are difficult to tell from real wood at 10 years away.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

a. Long runs of it expand more than the nail holes can tolerate, then it's all nice and wavy. b. It gets brittle c. hail (if running sideways) punches holes in it. d. It melts if your neighbors particle board palace burns down e. It chalks out and looks like shit f. It looks like a plastic lego house

Steel is the only way to go.

Reply to
Steve Barker

My vinyl siding is 23 years old. It has none of the failures that you describe although the neighbor's houses on either side of me have not burned down in all that time, but each is about 60 feet away and they are covered in asbestos siding. Ever see an asbestos siding house burn? Watch out for shrapnel!. Are you speaking from experience, or repeating some bullshit that someone else has said? What do you have on your house?

Here's a plus over steel siding. If your house catches fire, the vinyl will melt from the heat so that the fire hoses can get to the wood fire behind the steel.

Reply to
Willshak

a. mine is steel b. I've seen hundreds of pictures, and all it takes is driving around and looking straight down the side of houses with vinyl. You'll get dizzy looking at the crooked bastards. (Also the seams are always nice also.) I never did figure out why they call it seamless with all those seams in it. c. if it's steel, all they'd have to do it keep it cool. No problem other than possibly blistering the paint. d. My closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. If his house burns, I probably won't even know it. There's NO WAY I'd live any closer than that to someone.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Hell, I forgot. I have two with steel, and one with vinyl, and one that's still wood. The vinyl one will be steel as soon as we build on. The wood one is a rental and we'll just paint it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Assuming you meant 10 YARDS (not years), why should I be forced to stay 10 yards away from my own house for it to look good?

Call me a traditionalist (or a glutton for punishment :), but I just like the look and authenticity of wood clapboards, particularly on older houses. To my own prejudiced mind, vinyl will always be associated with the words "cheap" and "plastic".

Reply to
blueman