Swollen Flashlight batteries

I am trying to get the two AA batteries out of a "Mini Mag type" flashlight. The batteries are dead and swollen up. They are tightly stuck in the flashlight body. Any hints about how to get them out would be appreciated.
The way this light is built I can only get at the base end of the batteries. The light was made by Brinkmann.
Thanks, EJ in NJ

If the batteries have swollen that much they are probably leaking. This will raise havoc with contacts, swiches etc.
Time for a new flashlight. Get one of the LED ones. A little more money, a lot more light and battery life.
Charlie

Very carefully drill into the base of the cells. You may then be able to use a screw or screwdriver to pull out the remains of the cell/s.
If not drilling several holes will destroy the cells and they can then probably be chipped and levered out piece by piece with an old screwdriver. Use plain water to wash out the flashlight case and screwdrivers etc. to get rid of any of the corrosive alkali that has probably seeped out of the swollen cells.
I do seem to recall doing this once many years ago. Older style batteries were often, then, cardboard encased, unlike present day steel.
BTW can you get at the 'other end' of the flashlight body to help drive out through, bits of the swollen cells, using. say, a piece of wood dowel etc.?

Certain brands of batteries have a warrantee that the company will repair/replace any device damaged by tthe batteries. If you know the brand, check the manufacturers website for more info.

get a long drywall-type screw,drive it into the base of the 1st cell,and use pliers to pull it out. repeat for cell 2
you could also try vinegar to dissolve/neutralize any leaking electrolyte.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

EJ-
BTDT, not worth the effort unless its just curiosity. My suggestion is, invoke the battery warranty....they usually send a check (or coupon) for the flashlight & a coupon for the batteries.
I've done this with DuraCells several times since in my experience DuraCells & Maglights don't mix well. One reason why I switched away from DuraCells.
If you really want to get the batteries out, you can drill them out.
Be careful, getting hurt isn't worth the price of a mini-maglight.
cheers Bob
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:08:47 -0500, Ernie Willson

A brinkmann isn't worth loosing any skin over. Dunk it in hot water, and if that doesn't do it, bin it.
If you REALLY love the flashlight, drill a small hole in the end of the battery and screw in a honking bug screw-eye to pull on.

Easier way is to send the flashlight back to the battery company and they will replace it if the battery leaked. Look at the guarantee on the battery.

But he'd have to remove the battery to know which company to send it to?

Nah, just a peep hole in the side with a cutting torch.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Pick a battery company - ANY battery company - and send the flashlight. Either they will send back a new flashlight without bothering to remove the batteries or they will remove the batteries. If they remove the batteries and they are their brand, they will send back a new flashlight; if the batteries are not theirs, they will send back the old flashlight (possibly with a shipping charge) but the batteries will be gone.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Strange? Would have thought shipping/mailing batteries especially defective and leaky ones (and not even lead acid) would be considered hazardous? (Oh dear; those mail plane crashes!!!!!).

Just dump it and buy a couple of LED flashlights. Far cheaper in the long run and if one dies, OK you got a backup.
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Now would be a good time to plug:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId"5285-50584-FT-NS-2C%203W&lpage=none
best flashlight bang for the buck and you don't even have to mail order it. (I have two. They kick my old 3D LED Mag-Lite's arse.) Only downside it it may not be waterproof, but the only weak spot seems to be the switch. If you get a silicone seal for that and then put some silicone on all the threads/O-rings it probably would be.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I have been buying like ones for about $2.50 each I have a couple I got for less than $2.00. Who cares if they are water proof, just pull out the other one.
I gave up after about one hour of trying to remove the batteries by drilling them out. They are still stuck tightly.
Thanks to everyone for the comments.
EJ in NJ
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Slide hammer? Or drill all the way to the OD and then use a bearing extractor to get the first one out (and hope the second follows?)
nate
Ernie Willson wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Ernie Willson wrote:

It's a pain, but to remove the DuraCell junk from my MagLight I took a slide hammer which has a small chuck or collet at one end. I inserted a dry wall screw, drilled a small hole in the bottom of the battery, threaded the screw in and hammered out the battery.
Clean up with water and baking soda or soap, etc., rinse well with clear water, and dry. If you have a vacuum chamber use it to dry the flashlight, otherwise let it air dry for a couple of days before closing the flashlight up.

Uh,baking soda is wrong for alkaline batteries. (few people use carbon-zinc["heavy duty"] cells anymore) vinegar(acid) is used to neutralize alkaline.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik