Stump removal w Hammer Drill

Page 1 of 2
Anybody ever try to remove (chip out) a stump using a chisel attachment and a hammer drill in the hammer mode?
(I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of these and wondering if this is my chance)
Tim
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm sure someone's tried it. I doubt anyone was successful.

Nope, sorry.
This might, however, be your chance to get a shovel, come-a-long, sawzall, and some of these blades: http://www.saw-reviews.com/item/B000FAPPAA
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Unless the thing is bone dry, or the chisel has a sharp edge, it'd be like hammering a sponge. Especially the side roots. It isn't concrete- it won't shatter. Probably have more luck with a ship auger, and just start boring big holes in it. They sell stuff to pour in the holes to speed up rot. If it is in the way, pay somebody to stop by with a stump grinder. Or buy yourself an axe and a hatchet, along with a sharpening stone, and spend several months doing an hour a day whittling away at it. (Probably be a good exercise program, and good stress therapy.)
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 31, 11:12 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Cheaper to pay a pro, forget the drill
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:12:36 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Jump up a notch and buy a Bosch 35lb demo hammer or it's equivalent, and a clay spade. http://bosch.cpotools.com/hammers_and_hammer_drills/demolition_hammers/11335k-rt.html [$800 reconditioned]
I still had to do some digging, but it severed 5-6" pine roots in short order- and saved me a whole lot of digging when I could angle it under the tree to cut the tap root.
I chopped the smaller roots with a sacrificial axe and a sharp maddox depending on where I was standing in relation to the root.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

You mean mattock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mattocking.jpg
Maddox is an angry bovine.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:40:39 -0800 (PST), Handplanes

Yes I did. And I wish I could remember what Agent wanted me to change it to,but I thought Agent was ignorant and added it.<g> So now I'm trying to find Agent's dictionary and make it right again.

Or a Georgia Governor. And since 1964 I've confused the 2.<g>
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Wasn't he the one that passed out ax handles for a photo op once? Mebbe that is how they got conflated in your head.
-- aem sends....
Add pictures here
✖

-snip-
That's the guy- and though I remember 'ax handles', too, it seems they were pick handles, so even closer to a mattock- http://www.southerncurrents.com/misc/maddox_r.htm .
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Don't think that will work.
I have used a pressure washer to get the dirt from around the roots so I could make a clean cut.
Got a few strange looks from people driving by.
Colbyt
Add pictures here
✖
Hey, that's a super duper idea. For stump removal, sawzall and a LOT of blades is the way to go. Cut the tree as high as you can, so you've got a lot of trunk to pull on. And then use a chain and pull it out with the truck. Or come along tool to the trailer hitch.
Farther out in the country, drill a bunch of holes, soak the stump with kerosene and burn it out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
[...]
I've had several stumps. Wouldn't risk damaging a chain saw or Sawzall, but I drilled several 1" holes deep into the stump and keep them filled with 34-0-0, nitrogen fertilizer. After 2-4 years, depending on the stump size, I easily take out the remains with an axe.
Add pictures here
✖
Ok, another idea: what about using a circular saw to cut the stump into bite-size pieces that can be hammered off? Will the dirt dull a circular saw blade in the same way it dulls a chain on a chain saw?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Use a disposable blade, and probably a disposable saw. I wouldn't try to do all the work with the saw. Checkerboard the top with it, and then use a wedge and a maul to widen the cracks. That will promote rot, and maybe split it up enough that you can use a jack and a chain to pull it out a chunk at a time, like a dentist with an impacted tooth.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:39:33 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

There is a product that you can pour on it that rots the stump out. Dont remember what it is. Just use Google. Ive also heard of some of the country fellows drilling several holes in then and pouring kerosene and oil in them. Let it soak in for a few days and then light it. Not a good idea though if you live in the city limits. Bubba
Add pictures here
✖

Saltpetre, its a strong oxidizer that breaks down the wood. I works but results are slow. I saw my dad do it years ago and think it took a couple of years.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
JIMMIE wrote:

Saltpetre has potassium and nitrogen that are good nutrients. You also want phosphate. Bird crap could be used as a source. Do not expect a quick result. In my experience, it has required two or three years before I was eager to attack the residue.
Add pictures here
✖

OK the stump has been removed. Here is what I did:
Used a circular saw to cut a checkerboard pattern in the top surface. Blade depth about 2-3 inches. Then I took a BFH to it and pounded out the squares. Repeat. When I got low enough, I used a sawzall to cut the remaining roots. Worked very well.
Tim
Add pictures here
✖