Stump removal

Need to remove stumps of overgrown shrubs from the garden. Diameter up to about three inches. Is winching them out a good DIY solution? Would need to hire a winch. Any tips?
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message

Depends what they are and what you have to attach a winch to. The job will be far far easier if you go round the shrub cutting the radial roots with an axe. When I had a load of Leylandii to pull out a couple of year ago even my JCB3CX struggled a bit without a bit of root pruning, they were quite big though :)
Andrew
On 06/05/2014 09:56, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Just dig around the base and snip the radials with secateurs. You can then often rock the stump free. 3" diameter you might even get a fork under, or a wrecking bar, or whatever. My latest ploy is to saw a slot in the top of the trunk and whack a bolster down the middle. Whatever it takes really
Need to remove stumps of overgrown shrubs from the garden. Diameter up

I have pulled out several with my Tirfor winch using a chain noose around the offending shrub. You do need something to anchor the other end of the winch and a good length of the original shrubs trunk to put the noose around. If you have only left short trunks it may be impossible to winch them.
Mike
Muddymike wrote:

There's about a foot of trunk to put the noose around and a 35' oak tree nearby to act as anchor.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 11:04:37 UTC+1, Mike Barnes wrote:

need

nd

he

When SWMBO wants shrubs removing (an annual occurence it seems), we tend to use a long-ish tree saw to cut through the roots once she's dug the trench all around. Tends to work OK, though often finding the one root which is causing the stump not to move sometimes leaves us scratching our heads.
On 06/05/2014 09:43, Mike Barnes wrote:

For 3" leaving enough trunk on to use as a lever and a posting spade and crowbar plus a scaffold pole are about as good as anything. You might also want a pruning saw, heavy pruning cutters or heavyweight axe as well depending on how many and thick the various roots are.
Basically dig and rock it until you can isolate each of the strong roots and the lever the thing out. Remember that levers are unforgiving.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Plus a brick! You need a brick, to place in the hole, beside the roots, over which you'll place the end of your scaffold pole, before starting to lever: both improves leverage and provides solid resistance so that your lever doesn't sink into the soil. I have found.
J.

Kinetic recovery rope and a Land Rover Defender - preferably V8
--
bert

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:52:11 PM UTC+1, bert wrote:

I find a Mattock very useful for removing stumps combining pick and axe as it does

Incredibly dangerous. The MOD define this technique as "not recommended for use with soft skinned vehicles"
Mike
On 06/05/2014 09:43, Mike Barnes wrote:

Agree with all the other comments about digging, axes, etc. but one tool I have found useful when access is tight and/or there are rocks / bricks etc close to roots is a wood chisel bit in an SDS drill. That way you can attack each root "surgically" but still with a very decent cutting speed.
newshound wrote:

A mattock is handy AAW.

A recip saw together with all the shagged out old blades you kept for some reason (they will get buckled and/or broken but it won't matter) as well as cutting the roots, it can apply a good amount of rocking back'n'forth to loosen the stump.
On Tue, 06 May 2014 09:43:42 +0100, Mike Barnes

I am planning on removing a 12 inch diameter conifer stump this weekend. Unfortunately it is on a steep bank so getting to the roots is not easy/safe.
I am thinking of hiring a tirfor and with that in mind I left 6 feet of trunk to provide plenty of levereage. I have some large lengths of angle iron which I will drive as far as possible into the lawn to provide an anchor and make sure that I get wire rather than ordinary rope for the tirfor.
If that fails it is a question of going down the bank on a rope to cut some of the roots but I really hope that will not be necessary.
--
rbel

As suggested here recently, the slow burn (literally) approach is potassium nitrate into holes in them - puts decaying fungus onto turbo mode. Then set fire to them - they'll go on burning underground for days, but should take out some of the roots.
(I've not tried this - suspect it's not a great plan for stumps next to the house :)
Theo

Light a bonfire around them?
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Muddymike wrote:

and hopefully not like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Drape some blankets over the stump and the rope to absorb the energy when the stump comes out of the ground and sets off towards the vehicle at great speed. BTDT (didn't know any better). It only broke the NSR lamp cluster and put a big dent in the Disco - I don't like to think what would have happened if it had come through the rear screen. (See also my .sig!)
--
Today is Boomtime, the 54th day of Discord in the YOLD 3180
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime;

"Thanks" for that! I suspect those retards had no appreciation of the energies involved - if the tow hitch had come off either vehicle, which it very nearly did - see the end of the video, it could easily have killed someone. At least I was only trying to pull a very small bottlebrush tree (*)(Callistemon rigidus) stump out of the ground. Even so, the piece of wood (the stump broke) did several hundred pounds worth of damage to the car.
(* Smaller even than this;
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2008/04/07/emuoil/fed3a1.jpg
The bad winter we had 3 or 4 years ago killed it.)
--
Today is Boomtime, the 54th day of Discord in the YOLD 3180
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime;
On 07/05/14 12:55, Huge wrote:

I used a small digger for all mine.
Dig a trench round, sever any big laterals with the digger if it can or an axe or saw if it cant.
You are left with deeper roots and maybe a tap root, and rocking the rootball a bit generally works.
Or you can use a spade and a pickaxe.
Then its time for the mighty heave in which a towrope and vehicle may be employed but I prefer the digger or simply brute strength
--
Ineptocracy