strange voltage

We have lived in this house about 9 years, and have found another problem. Pulled a patch off wall in one back room that we never used and found wiring that was stubed out, looked like a fixture may have been there . checked voltage and it was 39.4 there is no switch controling it that I can find. The light switch in the room is normal and works good, where could you get that kind of voltage on a line when the line voltage is 220 /110 service?

Reply to
bgtcars

On wiring that has been disconnected, but is still near a live circuit. Don't use your meter, but instead connect a light bulb to the wires and see what happens.

Reply to
John Grabowski

It may be that there is no direct connection here. The two wires you are measuring may have been abandoned but since they are located along with other energized wires you may be measuring a capacitive voltage divider. I'd guess that you are using a high impedance volt meter that doesn't load the circuit. Measure with a low impedance volt meter, or load the circuit slightly...perhaps with a small load like a night-lite (4 or 7 watts) clipped between the two wires you are measuring and the measured voltage will probably drop to zero.

Reply to
Boden

It'd be nice if those meters came with a button that applies a small load. You could press it and see if the voltage drops significantly.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

bet a digital meter was used, way too sensitive.

use a light bulb with digital meter at same time..............

Reply to
hallerb

do you get a dial tone on it?

Reply to
Norton Nescio

Yes, and they'd be more usefull when testing batteries.

Reply to
Boden

Obviously limited knowledge of electricity! Not only that; the the type of wiring, method of measuring and type of device (meter?) used is not specified! For example; is it an 'induced' voltage due to disconnected wires running through the same walls and possibly alongside working electrical wiring? The suggestion that maybe it's an old telephone circuit can not be discounted. Or maybe a disconnected speaker citcuit? Insufficient info. to comment. Just hooking up a meter to some unknown wiring is a meaningless exercise.

Reply to
terry

Hi, Specially if the meter is digital type. Some cases analog meter is more useful.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I do have one digital meter with settings for voltage testing, and two other settings for battery testing. I forget the brand.

Reply to
mm