sticky-fingers repairman

Page 1 of 2
I am 99% sure a repairman lifted my multimeter while leaving the house. What would be the best way to notify the company he works for? I don't want to falsely accuse anyone. The meter does not cost much but it just bugs me.
Call the company. Ask for the owner, not the secretary.
Say, Joe came over and worked on xxx last Wednesday. We had some of his tools and some of my tools strung all over the thing. Would you ask him if there is any chance he got my multimeter by mistake when he was loading tools?
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 09:53:48 -0400, George Becker wrote:

Call and ask if he picked it up by mistake
Before calling, be sure to check everywhere it might possibly be. No one else was in the house before it was missing? Dog take it? Kids? Wife? Were you working on any projects? Etc. Be darn sure.
And give the repairman the benefit of the doubt. The idea to ask if he took it by mistake is good. Also when talking to the supervisor, say you are not totally sure, but it was missing after he visited.
If he is a thief, then other people will have called about him in the past or will call in the future. But sometimes people will make an honest mistake and grab all tools in sight not realizing they are also taking tools which are not theirs.
One time I had a CD missing after someone visited. I never said anything. Later I found it behind the stereo. It had fallen back behind. Glad I never said anything!
"George Becker" wrote in message

What was he repairing?

Might I ask what difference that makes?

If he was working on plumbing, it makes it even more suspicious that he'd pick up a voltmeter.

My sister filed a police report claiming her cleaning lady stole jewelry. No apologies when it showed up a year later. (nor any refund to the insurance company (Yeah, I know what she is; I haven't spoken to her in years)) I would just let it go. Pointless to ask him, and your are accusing him of being a thief if you ask his boss.

OTOH,at my workplace,several expensive items disappeared,like a VCR,a Variac,a TI calculator(all from my bench!). I asked around,and none of the salesmen or coworkers borrowed them. It turned out other people were also missing items,and the officer manager was missing some money from the petty cash drawer.I suspected the cleaning people,and so set up a hidden video camera in my work area.After a week or so,I replayed the previous night's tape one morning,and there they were,opening up one of my bench drawers,rummaging thru it,and taking something out and putting it in their garbage can. My office manager was SURE that it was not the cleaning people....until I showed her the tape. The property manager came,viewed it,and immediately fired the entire cleaning crew.One of the thieves contested his firing,so a copy of the tape was made and given to the lawyers,never heard any more on it. My dumbass company never bothered to seek reimbursement for the VCR and Variac,even though the cleaners were bonded.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Humor me: What was he working on?

I'm not saying it's the correct thing to do (and I wouldn't like it if it happened), but maybe he used yours to save a trip? Then threw it in his bag by mistake?
I would call the company and ask if he might have picked it up. If you do happen to find it later, you can call them back and tell them (the same person) you found it. But to let it go (if you really think he's got it) is just letting a potential theft 'get away with it'.
I'm a business owner and I would want to know if an employee was a potential thief. You can't know something that goes unreported!!! Like the other poster said, if the owner/manager gets more reports... they will have a record of previous calls.
Probably left it at his last job, and needed another one.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I'd go with asking if he picked it up by mistake. It does happen.
Our roofers happened to use the same brand and size of fiberglass extension ladder that I own. When they were done they packed up mine along with theirs. Called them up and described it, asked them to look for some spilled paint on the pulley (good thing they're roofers instead of painters!), and they brought it back.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
snipped-for-privacy@phred.org wrote in message ...

look
instead
I happened to notice that one of the people installing new gutters on my home at the time the roof was being put on, had a ladder exactly like mine. I took my marker and wrote my name on mine. Hey, it doesn't hurt to be careful these days. :-)
Cheri
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:05:54 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

This is why you should buy all your tools at Harbor Freight. So they won't be the same brand the contractor is using.

I still have clothes my mother labeled for me when I went off to college.

You obviously have a very smart mother. :-)
Cheri

LOL. Can't argue with that no way!

I'd expect at least a few contractors to use HF tools. I know I do. I've got HF volt meters in various tool boxes. For what I do, they work fine.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.