Stairs and laminate flooring

I want to replace the carpeting on my stairs with laminate flooring. Simple enough for the stairs and risers, but the stringers are also carpeted and I don't have a clue as to how to "dress" them, other than possibly leaving the carpet on them (the stringers), which I would rather not do.
Does anyone have suggestions please? Thanks!
Bill in Alberta
Carpeted stringers make a certain fashion statement !
Personally I would not do laminate stairs because they're so slick - a spill, or running down the stairs in socks, is dangerous. Well, if you're me it's dangerous.
Are the stairs, risers, and stringer "construction grade" - as in, not meant to be seen ?
snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net wrote:

Yep, stringers are ugly under the existing carpeting. I hear what you are saying about the laminate on stairs...solid oak is a much safer route.
On Nov 12, 3:41 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't confuse cheap laminate with good laminate. I've had my stairs done for many years now and it is safer than the carpet that used to be on there. I walk up and down them often with just my socks and never had the slighted bit of slipperiness. The better brands make a bull nose especially for the treads.

Not being able to see them it is difficult to say exactly what would work. In my case, I just stained them to match the laminate. On one side of a split stair it was open. I used a pine board to make a side and stained that also.