Laminate on Stairs

I am putting new laminate on the stairs to my basement. I have removed all the carpet and all the staples. I have all the flooring, the glue, and the nosing. I have done laminate on flat floors before, but not on stairs. he problem is that my stair treads over hand and the ends are rounded. The nosing doesn't fit properly because of the rounding. What I need to know is this: do I need to cut the stair tread so that they are flush with the vertical before the project will go together properly. I have watched a vidoe produced by Shaw that shows how to glue the laminate to the treads, but it doesn't address my issue.

Reply to
Tom W

That is what I had to do. Put the nosing back flush against the riser.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I skipped the preformed treads. I didn't like the extra bumb my brand had. I also was worried about the very slippery nature of laminate on my slightly steep basement stairway.

My solution was to use a standard metal stair-nosing. It covers the original bullnosed stair tread and the front of the laminate tread.

I wouldn't do this on primary/decorative stairways but going into a nicely finished basement it works well.

RickR

Reply to
RickR

The problem with that is the new tread will probably be narrower than the original. Usually the nosing is 1". But laminate nosings are less than 1/2", typically 1/4". That .5" to 0.75" less of treads will make your stair not meeting the building code.

Reply to
N/A

Actually, the building code says tat the tread depth for a single family dwelling in Nova Scotia is 9". The depth of the tread with the bullnose is 10", so cut down even without the new laminate nosing, it will still meet code.

Reply to
Tom W