Light/Fan Fixture

Sometime ago I invested in a whole bunch of those curly flourescant bulbs (CFLs) to save on power.

So, when the original incandescant bulbs burned out in my daughters Hampton Bay fan/light fixture, I replace them with CFLs. I then realized that while the lights are not dimmable, they apparently do use a dimmer to switch them on/off in a graceful manner. I then remembered that CFLs will not work with dimmers...oh well! So, I then replaced the CFL bulbs with some regular incandescant 60 watters....but they dont work now either. I think I might have blown something inside by using the CFLs.

Can anybody tell me if this light unit is fixable. The fan still works.

I'd be willing to live without the "dimming" capability and just have a regular on/off feature. So, if the dimmer has blown, can I just bypass it or disable it or take it out? If so, where is it?

Reply to
Brian Staff

Assuming you have a wall switch(dimmer), that went bad. Replace the control. If it's an electronic control, try resetting the transmitter to receiver link

Reply to
RBM

I do not have a wall switch dimmer - just two regular wall on/off switches. It's wired so that either wall switch can be on for the remote control to work, which is what we normally use is then operate the fan and/or light. The dimmer itself is, I think, in the fan/light unit, although I'm not sure where exactly.

Sorry for being naiive here, but how would I "reset" the trasmitter to receiver link?

Reply to
Brian Staff

You may have to find the papers that came with the unit. Possibly open up the remote, it may have instructions. Also try removing the batteries and reinstalling them. There is a code transmitted by the remote and received by a receiver board in the fan. Unless the receiver board is damaged, it may have just lost its code

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

The remote control is working because it controls the fan too and I can control the speed and on/off of the fan. The lights just will not work.

Reply to
Brian Staff

Reply to
RBM