Spy TV?

Article here

talks about Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Big Brother double plus ungood!

SMITH! WINSTON J! 604732! I SEE YOU READING THE BOOK OF MORMON IN FRONT OF THE TV! NOW, GIVE ME TEN DEEP TOE TOUCHERS!

.

Article here

talks about Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:tKjar.13777$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Winston Smith's name/number, according to the voice in his cell in the Ministry of Truth, was "6079 Smith W".

Reply to
Tegger

And, of course, someone would remember the correct information, and remind me. Thank you, comrade.

.

Winston Smith's name/number, according to the voice in his cell in the Ministry of Truth, was "6079 Smith W".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ah, this was an item on ABC tv news in the middle of the night about

3AM this morning. It's a bit like happy time news and I had no idea what they were talking about.
Reply to
micky

Of course my tv, if I ever get a modern one, will be connected to the internet. Wait, my current one is too, but I never use it. But it's only for downloading. The connection is to the computer's sound and video output.

I would buy a new tv maybe, but they too only have input, from outside signal sources. No way to output what I'm watching and listenting to to my home network.

Reply to
micky

Cable is two-way.

No, the best answer is to unplug the TV when not in use.

When the TV IS being used, a bit of electrical tape over the camera might be appropriate.

Reply to
HeyBub

Many new TVs are being connected to the Internet. No telling what can be done once plugged in.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This is for people who want to Skype or whatever from the TV. I would not worry about anymore than the camera in your tablet or laptop. You still need to start the video application

I do have a PC hooked to my TV for music and for streaming internet content like HBOGO. Mine is not as advanced as the new ones we are talking about here that have the PC in the Tv.

My PC on the TV also feeds an agile modulator that puts that content out on a channel in the Dish home network so you can see it from any TV in the house.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

You could use something like a BandAid, so that when you want to use the camera it won't be covered by sticky mess.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd