Spy TV?

Article here http://tinyurl.com/7sumrdj talks about Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.
Big Brother double plus ungood!
SMITH! WINSTON J! 604732! I SEE YOU READING THE BOOK OF MORMON IN FRONT OF THE TV! NOW, GIVE ME TEN DEEP TOE TOUCHERS!
Article here http://tinyurl.com/7sumrdj talks about Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

Winston Smith's name/number, according to the voice in his cell in the Ministry of Truth, was "6079 Smith W".
--
Tegger

And, of course, someone would remember the correct information, and remind me. Thank you, comrade.

Winston Smith's name/number, according to the voice in his cell in the Ministry of Truth, was "6079 Smith W".
--
Tegger

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:38:21 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Ah, this was an item on ABC tv news in the middle of the night about 3AM this morning. It's a bit like happy time news and I had no idea what they were talking about.

Of course my tv, if I ever get a modern one, will be connected to the internet. Wait, my current one is too, but I never use it. But it's only for downloading. The connection is to the computer's sound and video output.
I would buy a new tv maybe, but they too only have input, from outside signal sources. No way to output what I'm watching and listenting to to my home network.

Many new TVs are being connected to the Internet. No telling what can be done once plugged in.

This is for people who want to Skype or whatever from the TV. I would not worry about anymore than the camera in your tablet or laptop. You still need to start the video application
I do have a PC hooked to my TV for music and for streaming internet content like HBOGO. Mine is not as advanced as the new ones we are talking about here that have the PC in the Tv.
My PC on the TV also feeds an agile modulator that puts that content out on a channel in the Dish home network so you can see it from any TV in the house.
Oren wrote:

Cable is two-way.
No, the best answer is to unplug the TV when not in use.
When the TV IS being used, a bit of electrical tape over the camera might be appropriate.
On 03/21/2012 06:13 PM, HeyBub wrote:
[snip]

You could use something like a BandAid, so that when you want to use the camera it won't be covered by sticky mess.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us