Curved TVs

Call me stupid, but why would you want your TV curved? Isn't that like going back to the old crappy tubes?
http://www.samsung.com/uk/discover/tv/the-curve-everything-else-feels-flat/?cid=uk_ppc_google_genericcurvedtvbroad-curvedtv-4858263022-genctv_20140512&tmcampid=7&tmad=c&tmplaceref=c_Generic_Curved%20TV_Broad&tmclickref=b_%2Bcurved%20%2Btv&ef_id=VIDtHwAAAXyPZWdZ:20141206223044:s
--
What is the difference between a battery and a woman?
A battery has a positive side.

In this particular instance, you prolly wouldn't, as ISTM that the only people who'd get a good view would be those sitting at the focus of the curve. Everyone else'd get a distorted/truncated image.
OK for a single person or possibly a cosy couple.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't
On 06/12/2014 22:30, Uncle Peter wrote:

It might have escaped your attention, but concave is not the same as convex.
--
Rod

It still ain't flat. Might be good for someone sat in front of the telly, but normally there are quite a few people in the living room, which means that most of you will be seeing one end of the curved TV at a hell of an angle.
--
You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk and the first thing you think is, 'Edit, Undo.'

On 06/12/2014 23:20, Uncle Peter wrote:

You apparently also haven't noticed that the curved screen models are large - 40 to 70+ inches. So there is usually plenty of opportunity for several people to have acceptable viewing positions. Sort-of like cinema curved screens - they too allowed more than one person to watch at the same time.
Most people who wished to understand what curved screens are like for viewing would takes themselves off to a shop which has some operating on display.
--
Rod

Uncle Peter wrote:

    Curved TVs have only a slight curve, hardly seems worthwhile.

If I'm sat that close to someone I'm not interested in what's on the telly.
--
Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury.

Its a bit like the old projector tvs. I have no idea, but I guess it depends on whether the images are manipulated to make things still look straight, in which case it can seem to have more depth, nuch like the very curved cinerama of the past. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Uncle Peter" < snipped-for-privacy@spam.com> wrote in message

I already did, stupid.

Because you are stupid, stupid.

Its curved the other way, stupid.

Distorts the image the other way then.

--
"You seem to have a cracked vertebrae." the Emergency Room doctor told the high school aged boy. "What happened?"
"Well, you see," the teenager replied, "I was kissing my girl good-night and damned if her brother didn't come out the back door and step right in the middle of my back."

--
"You seem to have a cracked vertebrae." the Emergency Room doctor told the high school aged boy. "What happened?"
"Well, you see," the teenager replied, "I was kissing my girl good-night and damned if her brother didn't come out the back door and step right in the middle of my back."
On Saturday, December 6, 2014 10:31:01 PM UTC, Uncle Peter wrote:

there are idiot customers to be fished. In fact that's the reason for most ads.

It's the whole reason Apple exists. Pure advertising.
--
When advised that France had announced it would not assist, become allied with, or otherwise support the US in any war on Iraq, former US Presidential candidate Ross Perot reportedly said: "Having to go to war without France is sorta like having to go deer hunting without an accordion".

Nope, they turned the mobile phone market on its head.
And that was LONG after it had been going too.
You've never done anything like that yourself.

What is care22? Apart from a dentist's chair that is. http://en.runyes.com/Item/Show.asp?m=5&db
--
When advised that France had announced it would not assist, become allied with, or otherwise support the US in any war on Iraq, former US Presidential candidate Ross Perot reportedly said: "Having to go to war without France is sorta like having to go deer hunting without an accordion".

Well for one thing, they've solved the problem of wall mounted TV's, for people living in converted lighthouses and windmills.
michael adams
On 07/12/2014 10:36, michael adams wrote:

And maybe Oast Houses.
--
Michael Chare

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 10:36:56 AM UTC, michael adams wrote:

:) But dahling, the radius is wrong
On 07/12/2014 13:01, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Didn't radius do landscape-to-portrait flipping monitors...? Now having flippable curvature could be interesting.
--
Rod

On 07/12/2014 13:05, polygonum wrote:

Brings a new meaning to buying a bent tv.