Spontaneous oily rag combustion, hood grease fires

Page 3 of 3

aemeijers wrote:

She probably got hold of the keys to the 'cuffs. ;-)

True story. My first year at college I was lucky to find a place on the student support program, i.e., 3 hours a day and more on weekends doing janitorial chores on campus. My regular assignment was the top two floors of Old Main, a venerable limestone fortress (still standing and in use) with oak plank subfloors covered with heavy industrial brown linoleum. I usually finished around 8 PM and the last chore was to put away the cleaning tools in a special basement area. The downstairs crew had finished early, leaving a big wide cloth pushbroom and related oily rags stacked against the wall instead of in their metal storage closet. There was a lot of smoke in the area and a small fire had started in the pushbroom. Luckily, in this janitorial area there were mop buckets, so I had the fire out in a few minutes, and carried the sopping residue outside in an open area. After cleaning up the mess, there was still a nasty burnt area in the linoleum so I contacted the superintendent and told him what had transpired. Next day he had a crew replace the burnt spot, but the new linoleum never did quite match even years later. It was explained to me that they had always used some oily sweeping compound on the floors for dust control and that was what had triggered the fire. It may have been just a coincidence, but a while later I was handed a much better $$ student assistantship to the drama department where the main work was resurrecting some really decrepit stage lighting gear and operating the lighting panel during plays. And building sets. And subbing for missing performers. Neat Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time, I guess.
Joe