Cleaning stuck on grease off range hood

I have a range hood over my stove. I am in the process of trying to clean the spots of grease that have stuck on. I don't want to use anything abrasive as it will take the finish off the range hood. Any suggestions other than picking at it with my fingernail?

Reply to
Ultraglide

Oven cleaner.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Household Degreaser?

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

What kind of finish does it have? A new plastic scraper might work on painted finish.

Reply to
Norminn

Methyl alcohol.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Bye bye finish. Assuming it isn't porcelain which is very doubtful.

Reply to
dadiOH

Go buy yourself one of those portable little steam cleaner machines like the scunci steam cleaner. Takes the grease right off. got mine at Menards.

-dickm

Reply to
dicko

Small brush and Dawn dishwashing detergent. If this doesn't work well, try a 50/50 mix of Dawn and household ammonia. To allow this mixture to work (so you don't), hold a paper towel on the surface, spray this mixture onto it, then wait an hour which should soften the grease. You could also try a baking-soda paste. Please let us know what worked for you.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Ultraglide" wrote on 12 Jan 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

washing soda

Reply to
Steve

Well, yeah, if you have a paint finish roughly equal to baked-on grease in tenacity. You're just outa luck then; shoulda bought stainless.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Brake cleaner. Be sure to ventilate VERY well and protect any nonmetalic surfaces. It'll get it squeaky clean.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:0pWdnTcA6YzAaxTanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

kinda toxic,isn't it? also,doesn't brake fluid remove paint? It does on cars.

I'd try using a gel automatic dishwasher detergent solution,then follow with a regular cleaner.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yes, the fumes are toxic. That's why I suggested you ventilate "VERY well". Yes, brake fluid removes paint. However, I didn't suggest using brake fluid; I suggested brake cleaner. I use it on guns and it doesn't damage the finish. I don't get any on the wood though.... just the metal.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:orSdnWylTvU5PhfanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

MAN,I need to read more carefully.My apologies.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Not a problem.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

...and it's slick!!

Reply to
Oren

"Ultraglide" wrote in news:BQ7ij.25688$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net:

I've been fairly successful with Greased Lightning and a toothbrush.

Reply to
Red Green

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:0pWdnTcA6YzAaxTanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Carb cleaner can cut crap well. Again, the paint issue you have to be careful of.

Reply to
Red Green