Oily rags

I've seen other woodworkers try (and fail) to demonstrate spontaneous combustion of linseed oiled rags, this guy was more successful

Andy Burns

"Boiled linseed oil is used as a paint binder or as a wood finish on its own. Rags dampened with boiled linseed oil are a fire hazard, because they provide a large surface area for oxidation of the oil. The oxidation is an exothermic reaction which accelerates as the rags get hotter."

As soon as one of the containers shows elevated temperature (90C), the experiment is really over. Unless you like a cheery fire. Some other web entries say combustion (open flame) occurs at 120 using the rags method. And that could be the rag functioning as a wick, for linseed vapours.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Oh, sorry, different oily rags!

Reply to
Davey

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns snipped-for-privacy@andyburns.uk writes

smoulder.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

This guy

used it as one method of deliberately starting a fire, also flint&steel etc.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Not to be taken lightly. Lots of DIYers have no knowledge of the hazards. The same goes for steel wool & sparks or other sources of ignition.

- Regards wasbit

Reply to
wasbit

I'm always cautious with oily rags but I'll be even more cautious now.

Reply to
nothanks

Some years ago I laid an oak floor in the extension, sanded the boards, two coats of linseed oil, put all the wood dust, oily rags, waste paper etc in a binliner outside the back door. Several days later I was sitting at my kitchen table reading the paper when I noticed 6 foot flames right outside the door.

I won't make that mistake again TW

Reply to
TimW