Storm porch & EPDM

Our bungalow has a covered walkway outside - a 4' wide flat root that runs for about 30'.

Having never been properly felted, it inevitably developed a leak which isn't getting any better.

The actual uprights are steel poles, and the joists that run perpendicular to the house are rock solid. So the job is to remove guttering, rip of old felt and whatever wood (I think it's sheets of ply/ chip board) is rotten. Replace same.

Then I'd like an EPDM covering, and the guttering reattached.

At one end there's the piece of string, I know, but as a job, is this something a semi decent roofer/tradesperson should be able to do ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes. I did my garage roof myself. I bought a complete kit from a place in the midlands and watched all their videos.

What you *must* have is a proper deck of new OSB or ply. Whether you overboard the existing decking with 7mm oSB or redo it with 18mm OSB3 is up to you. The new deck must be screwed not nailed down.

The problem with most roofers is that they only know about torch-on felt (and frequently bodged so that that lapped joints start peeling after a few years). Those that might have taken the plunge with EPDM overcharge.

Reply to
Andrew

I would suggest avoiding chipboard and getting 3 or more quotes. EPDM is quite easy to install.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I did our porch to garage link in OSB3 sheet sealed with glass fibre.

About 8' x 9' so not as grand as your project. Upstands, weather seals, drips etc. can be purchased in pre-formed lengths. Don't forget ventilation for the timberwork.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A guy once told me that flat roves if truly flat are not reliable. a very slight tilt is needed to stop puddling and then all the water will come off of one side. Achieving that on an already built structure though, would seem to be much harder than if starting from scratch. I was going to have something between a couple of sheds, but in the end decided not to.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, a competent DIYer would have no problem with that. You could also look at twinwall polycarbonite sheets.

- Regards wasbit

Reply to
wasbit