EPDM for flat roof?

Hi,

Anyone have any comments on EPDM for a flat roof? We have a ~2.5x1.8m porch with cracking felt on the roof, and SWMBO is keen on the EPDM ("rubber") as it sounds easier and more durable (for example from

Any comments appreciated,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Emerson

Look at Polyester/Glass Fibre Mat. (Polyroof and others?) (I dont work for them). Trouble with most EDPM, like Bitumen Felt, is own worst enemy being black. Absorbs maximum UV light and degrades.

Reply to
Bookworm

On the last felt roof I had done, they painted the final layer with a silver reflective coating to avoid just this problem...

John Rumm

Yes, that is done on lots of roofs, but it wears off in time. I have renewed many flat roofs where this has happened. You should renew the reflective coating every five years or so.

Reply to
Bookworm

[...]

Thanks, will have a look.

Well, the company above claims it lasts 20+ years and that their product is "highly resistant to ultra violet", but of course that's their own bumf.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Emerson

Notice they say 'resistant' not 'proof'. I would rather have a bulletproof vest than a bullet resistant vest. I dont want to pour cold water on your ideas but please realise that there is a lot of bullshit spoken about flat roofs. How long they last is more of a matter of where they are and how well they are laid.

Reply to
Bookworm