Shop rags

My once fertile source of shop rags seems to be drying up. The local thrift shop was once a source of used, white, all cotton tees at 5 shirts for a buck. Lately these have been fewer and farther between. I use a lot of shop rags since my finishing is mostly wipe on. So what do you guys use for shop rags and where do you get them?

ROY!

Reply to
ROY!

I have dozens of industrial rags that I launder from time to time. I don't use these with finishes or oil--for that I use worn out T-shirts, socks, or any worn out cloth or paper towels. I get enough spent cloth from a 2-person family. Lots of old clothing at garage sales for less $ than buying rags at the BORG.

Reply to
Phisherman

I use the 5# bag/box of bleached cotton remnants typically sold at Rockler and Woodcraft. Typically under $20.

Reply to
Leon

For about $12 at Sam's I can get either 100 standard shop towels, or 50 terrycloth bar towels. Both types can be laundered depending on what you use them for. For staining and wipe-on poly, I just reuse one till there are no clean spots left, then throw it away.

Also, Lowe's carries a small bundle of tee-shirt type rags for about $5. Kind of expensive, but I keep some on hand for when I want the smoother, thinner material.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Roy, Check some of the local paint stores. They often have large sacks of rags for a reasonable price.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Woehl

I got a box of squares of t-shirt material from the BORG. They're just right for finishing, and a box lasts me quite a while.

DonkeyHody "We can't all be heros because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

Reply to
DonkeyHody

McMaster Carr:

a search for: Cloth Rags

Scroll down to a selection of rags. You want low-lint rags. Lint fibers embedded in a finish will make one cry.

Also, EBay on occasions has unused cut up tee shirts for sale.

There use to be a 100% cotton muslin low lint rag around called 'washed sugar sack' or just plain sugar sack. One time use cotton cloth, a bit lighter than a cotton Tee, was really used as a cloth sack for shipping sugar in. After use, got washed and sold as rags. You may see on EBay also.

Some places they call sugar sack rags, flour sack rags. Google.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

These are a little pricey, but work well for whatever I can't use paper towels for..

'm cheap and cut my paper towel rolls in half, or in thirds for turning.. Seems like I was always folding a paper towel several times to get it smaller..

I also use these and like them a lot:

notice that they're red in this picture, they're usually yellow..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I hit a few yard sales every summer and buy up a bunch of old sheets. Some times as much as a quarter a set, Tear them into right sizes and bingo shop rags.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

I have two sources.

My local St Vinnies still sells big bags of old tshirts for five bucks, but I have to sift through them looking for bags that are mostly white. If they ever stop selling, I'd go to garage sales.

For a lot of finishes, I took a finishing class at Woodcraft and came away with a few tips: General Finishes SealACell and ArmrSeal, and Viva paper towels. I didn't believe it at first but Viva is lint free and sturdy, and does a great job applying both of those. That's what I use for most of my finishes. The cloth shop rags are mostly for jobs where they can be washed.

Reply to
else24

Scott Rags in a Box. Paper and lint free. I use them until they are too dirty and stiff to even clean oil off router bits, then toss them. Oh and I do dry them first. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Honey, have you seen that new set of sheets I bought? Uh.....wha?

Reply to
bob

Do a Google for "shop+rags+cotton"

Should keep you busy for a while.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've bought some of these and they actually work pretty well. They used to be yellow, they've actually been red for a couple years now, at least around here.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I buy mine from Sherwin Williams. Any paint store should have them.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Try Goodwill. They get a lot of clothing that is in very bad shape so they rag them out. Get your wipers and help a worthy organization.

Reply to
Roger amd Missy Behnke

My old shirts and other old clothing. For finishing jobs, a box of rags from Woodworker's Supply lasts quite a while.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I get mine from a commercial laundry. All they clean are the ones from hotels and motels... I pay .50 lb. All are white terry and great for the messy jobs plus sometimes I even get new ones that have defects and we use those for hand towels in the house.

SD

Reply to
SHOPDOG

Make sure all the buttons are off..lol I use old t-shirts for big messes, but for things like polishing on the lathe it just isn't worth the effort of removing the seams and stuff..

Paper towels are my friend..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Same here for the shop rags. I just bought a 40 gallon trash bag full of hand towels, linen table cloths, etc. for $20.

Reply to
Nova