Spontaneous oily rag combustion, hood grease fires

Page 2 of 3

Fires all the time in composting operation north of here for mushroom farmers.
: Only spontaneous combustion I ever saw with my own eyeballs was a big : mound of bagged grass clippings, that were cut a hair on the damp side. : A day of Indiana sun cooking them, then around 10 pm that night, a : neighbor pounding on the door....
Sure it was 10 pm at NIGHT? :-)
Joe wrote:

Yeppur. Remember, this was midsummer, and Indiana is on western edge of eastern time zone. late June, early July, the western sky still has a visible glow at 10 pm. I was out there for an hour busting up the bags with a rake, soaking it with a garden hose. Stunk pretty bad.
-- aem sends...
: > : > : Only spontaneous combustion I ever saw with my own eyeballs was a big : > : mound of bagged grass clippings, that were cut a hair on the damp side. : > : A day of Indiana sun cooking them, then around 10 pm that night, a : > : neighbor pounding on the door.... : > : > Sure it was 10 pm at NIGHT? :-) : > : > : Yeppur.
I was pulling your leg. There's only one 10 pm, and it's not in the morning.
Joe wrote:

Duh. Okay. Well, it made it clear that it wasn't 10 pm the following night.....
-- aem sends...
What about hangovers, and wicked colds?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Decomposition builds heat. Just about anything can burn. Leaves, wood chips, oily rags and etc. It mostly depends on the quanity and how they are stored. Most people don't have the large quanities stored that is required to produce enough heat to actually catch fire. But, keep in mind that it DOES happen.
Also, glass bottles that are laying aside a road on a sunny day can start a fire too. Ever fry and ant with a magnifing glass? It is rare, but it does happen.
Hank <~~~~fire safety concious

Thrown out of a hotel dining room once because of a fire in the cooking hood vent, after the wine arrived but before the food, so that was ok...
Never seen LInseed oil soaked rags SC, but the containers always bear the warning. I tend to burn any rags soaked in the oil after once off jobs to prevent surprises, and they do burn rather well.
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 23:07:46 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Spontaneous combustion is very real, ask your local firefighter. When I'm done with a rag, I open it up flat (no folds) and lay it on the concrete floor to dry. If you bunch the rag up, it may heat up and catch fire.

Unsaturated vegatable oils will oxidize and if soaked into flammable materials and bulked up, can raise temperatures enough to ignite. Avoidance is to put oil-finish soaked rags in water, put them in an airtight container or spread them out so they aren't bulked up and let the material dry out. Petroleum oils don't have the same chemical structure.
I've not seen anything about grease fires in home cooking vent hoods, although some numb-nut left a fryer on the stove one night and caused a mass-evacuation of the apartment building when it caught fire. I have seen the aftermath of a hood fire in a restaurant, a BK about a mile up the road went up in flames when the fryer hood caught fire, burned the roof off. Took about a year to rebuild, too. Modern restaurant hoods are supposed to have wash-down features and extinguishers, not sure what happened at that place.
Stan
On Dec 10, 2:41pm, snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

The unsaturated linkages are probably oxidized while the oil is a hot vapor or aerosol.
This is the only byproduct whose I can remember, to search for: http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/airquality/publications/sok/acrolein.html
jsw
On Dec 10, 2:41pm, snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

One of the things that happened at several fast food restaurants was that a deep fryer would ignite and before the hood system protection could trip someone would apply an ABC Ammonium Phosphate dry chemical extinguisher to the fire. The ammonium phosphate would react with the deep fat and cause a boil over that would spread the fire beyond the area protected by the hood system. Unless the restaurant was sprinklered it would burn to the ground. That is how we came to have class k fire extinguishers. They contain a wet chemical foam that smothers the fire and cools the adjacent heated metal thus preventing a re-flash. -- Tom Horne
Thanks, didn't know that. Do you have a link to a class K extinguisher? I've not researched those. Are they the 2 1/2 gal water units with the funky aerator nozzle?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

They make commercial products for just such occasions; they're called handcuffs. I saw some at my local HF store - I think they were $7.95 (I didn't buy them because I already have an ample supply)*.
When the family moved out, my son made over $38 taking soda bottles back to the store for deposit refunds. But here's the one that'll cause you to drop your donuts: I discarded 98 empty, giant-sized Cheer laundry detergent boxes. They were using TWO giant boxes of soap per week!
------- * At a crowded gun show some years back, I picked up a pair, held them aloft, and called to my then-current squeeze some distance down the aisle: "Hey, Rose! Wanna have some fun?"
Several people turned.
She called back: "Don't be silly. We already HAVE handcuffs!"
Many people grinned.
I got a look of "Oh, yeah. Right!" and put them back.
I was so proud.

Did you check the white powdery residue inside?
That's amazing lot of soap. Were they into bubble baths, or did all the kids mess the bed every night? Or did the use the Bobby Brady formula for using the soap?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

One with a sense of humor like that, and you let her get away?
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Yeah...
She joined an "awareness group" and I was undone.
In my view, there should be a law prohibiting two or more women meeting without a chaperone.