Speed control for 12" fan

It's getting warm outside. But, if I turn on my 12" electric fan I am getting too much of a blast, even at the Low setting.
Did anyone come across an inexpensive speed control that I can just plug in between the outlet and the fan?
I tried Walmart and Sears, without luck.
Thanks
--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

I know they say not to do this, but I put my fan on a standard light dimmer switch almost 20 years ago. Works fine to this day.

Home Depot sells dimmers that are rated for fans.
Mike
The problem with using dimmers for fans is most such fans use sleeve bearings. The motor manufacturers will tell you not to run a sleeve bearing at below 500 RPM, or you will ruin the bearing. If you keep the gan going above 500 RPM, or if you have a ball bearing motor, there should be no trouble.
Stretch