Soldering Question

I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it. After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent the plastic around the ball from melting? Jim

Reply to
Jimi

I believe it's teflon...and I have never taken or seen anyone take them apart.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

I usually put a small wet rag around the valve part to keep it cool while soldering the connections.

Reply to
Art Todesco

nope, just get the heat on, solder it and get the heat off. it'll be fine.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I don't think they will come apart without damage.

Reply to
EXT

I always do. It's very easy and hardly takes any time at all. Unscrew the top, drop the guts and solder away.

Jason

Reply to
jazon48

i dont believe ball valves can be disassembled

Reply to
hallerb

I typically open the valve all the way up and wrap a wet rag around the valve stem/seat area before soldering. Not sure opening the valve helps but in any case, this method has worked for me on a number of valves. I've also switched to MAPP which allows for a much faster heating. cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson