Soldering Question

I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it. After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent the plastic around the ball from melting? Jim

I believe it's teflon...and I have never taken or seen anyone take them apart.
Jimi wrote:

I usually put a small wet rag around the valve part to keep it cool while soldering the connections.
nope, just get the heat on, solder it and get the heat off. it'll be fine.
--
Steve Barker

"Jimi" < snipped-for-privacy@nospamhere.net> wrote in message
I don't think they will come apart without damage.

I always do. It's very easy and hardly takes any time at all. Unscrew the top, drop the guts and solder away.
Jason

i dont believe ball valves can be disassembled

I typically open the valve all the way up and wrap a wet rag around the valve stem/seat area before soldering. Not sure opening the valve helps but in any case, this method has worked for me on a number of valves. I've also switched to MAPP which allows for a much faster heating. cc