Snowblower Problem Question ?

Hi,

Live outside of Boston. Tons of snow yesterday.

Have an Ariens snowblower. Model 7524. Typical 2 stage unit; few years old now.

Engine works fine. Drive system to wheels works.

Big Auger wheel in front turns.

But won't throw snow. No clog.

Can't see if the high speed Impeller is turning or not.

Neighbor suggested a broken belt.

If the Auger turns, can it, possibly, be a bad belt ?

If the Impeller is turning, which I haven't been able to verify, can it be a bad belt ?

What are likely possibilities, and what can be eliminated, probably ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Typically snow throwers have sheer pins on the moving parts to prevent damage when something other than snow gets jammed . I would be looking for the high speed impeller to be turning, and if not, look in your manual for a sheer pin location

Reply to
RBM

How is it that you can't tell if the impeller s tuning? Can't you see it by looking into the auger housing?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

sheer: thin, filmy. "Wow, hon, that's a sheer dress!"

shear: Break, usually rapidly and completely. "I caught a screw driver in the auger, and lost the shear pin." Oh, it was a Klein screw driver that I hit.

.

Typically snow throwers have sheer pins on the moving parts to prevent damage when something other than snow gets jammed . I would be looking for the high speed impeller to be turning, and if not, look in your manual for a sheer pin location

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He said he can't see it so maybe it is sheer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ouch!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's shear logic.

Well, I got to break, now. Got to cut this off.

.

He said he can't see it so maybe it is sheer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Shear nuff! Cut it!

This is a troll. Sheerly you jest. Thinly veiled trolling on my part.

.

Ouch!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have someone else operate the machine and you watch the impeller. It will (probably) rotate under no load but stop if any snow gets to it. Broken shear pin located right behind the impeller on the shaft that drives the auger. Not a fun thing to change.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Lots of words in the English language have multiple spellings, and each spelling may even have multiple meanings.

The word "shear" is an engineering expression for how a force can be applied to an object, and how it can break.

You are undoubtedly familiar with the terms "tension", "compression" and "torsion" and can understand how something can break if you pull something apart, crush it or twist it's head off.

But what word would you use to describe how something would break if you held it in front of you with both hands (so that your thumb knuckles were touching) and pushed one half of it away from you with your left hand and pulled the other half toward you with your right hand?

In engineering lingo, that kind of stress is called a "shear stress", and excessive sheer stress will result in an object failing in shear.

Earthquakes are examples of the rock under your feet failing in shear because of the enormous shear stresses that can build up in the Earth's crust.

But, you can also buy your wife and girlfriend sheer lingerie, you can shear a sheep, you can sharpen a shear blade, you can faint from sheer exhaustion, and you can put Worstersheer sauce on your steak.

Reply to
nestork

-snip-

Is that 'a few' like 3-4 or 'a few' like 30-40?

Is 'won't throw' like it just dribbles out the chute-- or nothing is happening there? wet snow? fluffy powder?

Turn off the machine. Take a poker and put it down the chute and see if you can turn the impeller. When you do that, does the auger turn-- or can you *not* turn it at all?

If it is 8-40 years old I can assure you it is not a belt. [maybe last week's model, too but I haven't played with them] If the augur turns you have power past the belts. The bad news is- there is probably not a shear pin on the impeller. What fails there is that little gear case that sits between the augers.

If you can turn the impeller with the machine off listen to that gear case and see if you hear bits of iron rattling around.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Eye half hat mie shear of Usenet threats where a simpel mis spelt werd haz turnt intew a long threat about fairy-ous spellings of werds.

I've been gilty on both sydes, both the correktion, and also doing the mis thpelling, of wrdz.

Isn't it worst chester sheer sauce?

.

[...]

You could also buy your sheep some shear lingerie.

Reply to
diy savant

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 08:16:33 +0000, nestork wrote in Re Re: Snowblower Problem Question ?:

What would be "Worcestershire" sauce. "Shire" as in an English "shire" which I think is something like a county in the U.S.

Reply to
CRNG

IF it was the gear-case the impeller would spin but not the auger. In this case the auger is turning - which on an Ariens means the belt is OK and the shaft is turning - and the impeller has decoupled from the shaft.. On any Ariens I've seen (I worked for an Ariens dealer back in 1968-71) there IS a shear pin on the back of the impeller. It is usually a 1/4X 1 1/4" roll pin rather than a bolt - and on an older machine it will be terribly hard to locate (all rusted up - it will basically dissapear from sight.)

Reply to
clare

devnull

1st a spring steel roll pin will probably not shear...it could completely rust-out though. There is a lack of tension, a worn belt or tension roller adjustment. Leave the engine off and spark wire removed; bungee or clamp the auger drive handle and manually try to move the auger. You should not be able to move it if there is enough tension. Ariens are an easy/straight forward machine to split the front-end if you need to for a belt change, but you may only need to adjust the length of the cable that engages the tension idler or the pulley idler itself.

I would add the simplest possibility is sheared auger pins and they are not moving snow to the middle for pick-up and are just snug enough to turn when not under load. HTH

Reply to
Bob_Villa

rust-out though. There is a lack of tension, a worn belt or tension roller adjustment.

handle and manually try to move the auger. You should not be able to move it if there is enough tension.

to for a belt change, but you may only need to adjust the length of the cable that engages the tension idler or the pulley idler itself.

moving snow to the middle for pick-up and are just snug enough to turn when not under load.

I said IF the auger is turning and the impeller is NOT turning on an Ariens 2 stage, the pin is gone. NO OTHER OPTION . period.

If the augers stop under load it is a different story - could be a bad belt, tensioner, or auger shear pins. Not common to shear both (or all 4) pins at once

Reply to
clare

It was not as a criticism...I just added my 2 cents worth.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

you are, of course, correct. I woke up from my nap and I re-remembered how that works.

I've driven them out. I suppose one could fall out or rust-- but the ones I've been able to budge were rolled steel and wouldn't shear.

That said- I *did* manage to flatten 2-3 of the vanes in an impeller with a slightly smaller than a baseball sized rock. It raised quite a racket so I shut it off quick. That was on a 30 yr old Bolens so it is probably easier to bend the vanes on the newer ones.

Where'd the OP go-- still out shoveling?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht